price check:mid to late 80's G&L L-2000 e-series

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by kindablue, Sep 7, 2004.

1. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    I'm moving and (might )have to part with's in very nice shape,dark stained body,everything works,sounds and plays great.....what is a fair asking price?
  2. I'd be interested in it, so I can't be objective....
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    That depends alot on the condition of the bass. I just paid $600 for an early-mid 80s L2000E with a Kahler tremolo.
  4. coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Ahh... they're only worth about $50. And by the way, I'll take it off your hands for that!

Just kidding... the low end would be around $300. If it's extremely clean & or rare I'd say they top out at $700.

Of course YMMV, and I reserve the right to be completely wrong. :bag:
  5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I think they average right around $600, with +/- $100 depending on condition, specifics, etc.

I had an '84 L2000 that was my only bass for almost 15 years.
  6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    In the last year, I've seen them go for anywhere between $400 and $1200 or so. It depends on the condition of the bass and (more importantly) the demand for them. Demand seems to be rising on pretty much all G&L's.
  7. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

My black '83 was thumped pretty good and I managed to get it for about $450 (shipped from Texas to LA, non-original HSC). I think that's about as low as I've seen them. I had to clean it up and adjust it some to make it playable.

In a fit of complete insanity, I put it up for sale here once asking $525 or so. Luckily, it went about a week and a half with no takers, and in the meantime I had come to my senses......and no, it won't EVER come up again, fenderjazz68. I'm still ticked that I let that El Toro go for $325, even if it wasn't getting played.
  8. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have an '85 that was $500... works perfectly but has some checking on the body paint and some scratches. Sounds amazing, though.
  9. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    I'd say the only flaws would be slight waterstains on the face,looks like some beer spilled down the front and was never whipped off(though they are fairly faint and can only be seen in the light.then there are a few scratches(again faint)where the knob plate is located(probably a slip with a screw driver.other than that it's in great shape

10. Errr ummm,

Give it to me ! :D
  11. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Sold a heavy mahogany one in great shape for $850 about 8 months ago. At nearly 13lbs it was not giggable for me!
  12. dukeplaysbass

Should have sold the El Toro to you......

How many G&L's have you got now, and which is your fave?
  13. 10 as of today, probably the L2000.
  14. dukeplaysbass

How old is it? Got a pic?

Details! We want details!
  15. Which one you want to see ?

I have an old one from the 80's and a newer on from about '93
  16. dukeplaysbass

Let's see the old one....

17. Here it is. :D
  18. dukeplaysbass

(Sorry for the delayed reply ... things got nutty here.)

Aw....that's a nice one.

BTW, I just got back from looking at an L-2500 that a local guy was billing as "immaculate" and asking $700. It had a big scratch on the bass side on the face, a bunch of little scratches (either pick or pop scuffs) on the treble side of the face, some unidentifiable while gunk I chipped off a piece of just to make sure it wasn't a chip down to the primer, and various dings and dents in the headstock and around the strap button. The neck had just been washed in Fingerboard Honey (or maybe 10W30 motor oil!) and was still slimy, with the obligatory slime on the finish, too. Last but not least, the volume knob was loose like it had been hit hard a couple of times with a hammer. The guy must have used a different dictionary to get that definition of "immaculate" I guess....what a waste of time.

Obviously, I passed, rather than offer him $500.

19. Yup, that was definately a pass !

If I see a G&L L2500 for a decent price & condition I'll let you know.