price check on Univox 4001 copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 10, 2005.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I saw a gorgeous mapleglo Rick 4001 copy from Univox at a store in Chattanooga this past weekend. I asked the owner how much and he told me $1000. Now I know what you're thinking. "What!?" How much do these normally go for? What would be fair to offer this guy if i decided I wanted it?

2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It looks like everyone there payed around $200 for it. For $1000 you could get a real Rick why get a copy if you could get the real thing for the same price.
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah, that price is insane. The guy asking that much is clearly on the crackpipe.

But, having said that...I had one back in the day, and out of all the basses that I have let go away, it is the one I miss the most. It was a very well constructed bass. I bought it to be a backup to a real Ric...and it ended up being the main axe, with the real Ric as backup.

Unfortunately American Airlines dropped it out of its case and it was ruined. (cracks in the body, hunks of binding missing, a 'S'-curve in the neck...ruined) #$%^ American Airlines.

I still miss that bass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For a univox i would say between $200 - 300