Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price check on used Godin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    $346. It looks like an SD or a freeway gone singlecut, the bass is in overall good condition, needs new strings and a setup. The shop owner is willing to hold it for me for some time, but won't go lower on the price. So good deal?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Two years ago I got a mint used SD-4 with black finish for $189.99 from a locally-owned store that competes directly with Guitar Center. It needed strings, setup, and a new set of pots (they were very crackly, even after cleaning). The maple-topped version might cost a bit more but I've found the pickguard-equipped SDs to sound noticeably better than wood-topped SDs and Freeways--the big cutout for the pickup and controls under the 'guard creates a sort of resonating cavity. Just my $.02 (before taxes).

The SD-4 is not the most versatile bass, but (particularly with TI Jazz Flats strung through the body) it is one of the best-sounding basses I have ever played--it sounded at least as good as every MIA Fender I tried in the store, and it can hang with my F-Bass BN5 and Peavey Cirrus fretless 5.

The Freeways balance better and the lower reaches of the neck are more accessible due to the longer upper horn, but the singlecut design of the SDs enhance the tone. I've seen new Freeway 4s for ~$489--I'd say keep shopping. Godin makes some beautiful instruments that depreciate pretty steeply so it should be easy to find a good one. I used to have Seagull acoustic guitar and I currently own an Art & Lutherie guitar (both are Godin brands)--their quality for the price is outstanding.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If it needs new strings and a setup i would pass. You can get them in good condition a little cheaper. I have a Godin SD4 and i put Bartolini pickups in it and it sounds really nice. It is my main bass and i prefer it hands down over my Spector Q5. I got mine for $320 in good condition almost a year ago, but they are becoming easier to find for cheaper now that the Freeways have taken over.

4. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Good to know, thanks both of you.