Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price Check on Yamaha BB-N5A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Hi, does anyone know around what this bass would cost used with a case. It is now a discontinued model and is roughly based on the Nathan East signature I think.

Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

2. bump =[

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    They're great basses, but they suffer from the same problem when they were new: they weren't very noticeable, and therefore didn't sell much. It doesn't matter how mint the condition is or how wonderful a bass it is - the demand really isn't there, so they haven't been selling for the prices that sellers have been listing them for.

From the seller's POV, they don't want to get low-balled on a bass that's honestly worth more but isn't selling for the reasons above. From the buyer's POV, the seller is asking for too much ca$h for a bass that "worth" that much in a "supply vs. demand" view. It's a lousy situation for both.

If you're looking to buy, there's one right here in the "For Sale" forum for a very reasonable price. I was this close, but as much as I'd love a BB5NA there are other items higher up on the priority list. :(

4. In Canada used BBN5A basses usually go for anywhere between $600.00-$800.00 Canadian depending on the condition of the instrument. Like most pre-2000 Yamahas the BBN5A had the preset mid switch like my TRBJP, which is truly Yamaha's finest bass eq in my opinion, why they discontinued it we'll never know??? Anyways, it's becoming very difficult to find older Yamaha basses so grab 'em while you can. I have owned a few BBN5A basses in the past and they were always fantastic. The BBN5A is pretty much the same bass as the BBEAST, save the ebony fretboard and the maple top.

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528

5. Thanks guys for the replies. I think i will buy one for $850 AUD, which i think is a reasonable price.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Old thread, sorry to wake it up, but for anyone's information these basses currently sell at pretty high prices on the used market in France (and probably in many EU countries). A used BBN5A in near mint condition sells around 1200/1300 EUR here, especially in amber finish which is the miost beloved.

FWIW
    Jay