Price check: Suzuki bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rayjay, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Cheers. I found a seller with a Suzuki bass. Tag says:

"No 81 Size 4/4 Anno 1977
    Suzuki Violin Co LTD Nagoya Japan"

The seller doesn't know much about the bass, so he can't tell me if the fingerboard is ebonized. Any ideas? Can't find much online, although there is an old TB threat about one.

Also I'm pretty sure their sizes run small and their "4/4" is more like a 3/4.

I'd go check it out but logistically its difficult due to my location. Wondering if its worth the travel expenses. He's asking $1000. I'm gambling that it probably needs the usual...soundpost adjustment, planing, strings, etc

Anyways thanks and I'd appreciate any personal experience or knowledge you have of this brand.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Among the instruments that have made their residence in my house, there was a Nagoya Suzuki 1/4 size violin from that era, that I got for $100 from the Craig. The fingerboard wasn't exactly ebonized... it was painted. I learned this when I tried to remove the residue of tape and stickers that festoon kid-sized instruments these days. The paint came off, and I was left with a semi-black but functional fingerboard. It got us through the time period that one typically spends with a 1/4 size fiddle, which isn't very long, and has now moved on to a new home.

You're right about the Suzuki sizing being weird. And given that bass sizing is weird in general... bring a tape measure with you. ;)

3. My first bass was a Suzuki, bought new around 1980.
    The fingerboard was painted maple methinks.
    It was releatively small, and had violin corners.
    Not bad, but ok as a first instrument.

4. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
  5. The last one I saw sell on eBay went for $300ish but that was a few years ago.