Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

price difference between US & UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 10, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i was looking at musiciansfriend.com and i saw Fender Jazz Basses for i think it was $300...so i thought i might buy one of them...i mean i think that is about £210 in the UK...so i went to me local music store and the Fender Jazz basses were £400! so i thought no way! y the price difference?

2. I think it's mostly VAT. Here in the States, when we are charged sales tax (a local thing; some localities don't have it and rates vary widely from maybe 1% up to about 10.5%), it's calculated as a percentage of the sale and added to the total. You can see all the figuring right there on your receipt. But in the UK, the value added tax is hidden in the sales price. If you're really curious, you might be able to get a UK retailer to tell you how much of his price on a given bass is VAT and how much the actual bass, but that doesn't cover truly hidden taxes. Last time I was in the UK (15 - 20 years ago), income tax was about 50% (way more than US Federal and state income tax combined for any tax bracket), so that has to be figured into any price--the seller has to clear enough profit to feed his family, and of course the taxes come off the top.

One thing I am curious about: when you buy a bass from the US, how much duty (percentagewise, if any) do you have to pay to receive the package?

3. i think it's just something that us brits have to get used to, even things related to bass that are produced in the uk are cheaper to buy in the US?
    most of the time it is the fact that many of the mass produced basses(fender for example) are produced outside of the uk, mostly in order to keep production costs down, when it comes to the Uk though we aren't blessed with a large bass manufacturing brand, so the perks of inshore production can't be passed on like they are in the US

look for retailers here in the UK taht has dealerships, special offers,, alot of the time you can find a good deal!!

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    US-made stuff is more expensive in Europe, because there are taxes, tolls, shippingcosts, etc.

For example, if you want to import Fender P, goverment takes around 20% sales taxes and tolls cost you about 50 bucks, and you need to pay for shipping too.

European-made gear is more expensive in US though, see Warwicks for example.