SOLD Price Drop! - 1979 Ibanez MC-900 Musician: Cool Bass, Some Issues

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by subtlestew, Aug 2, 2019.

1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Price:
    $450
    Strings:
    EDIT: Now open to trades. Whatcha got?

This bass has a lot of good to it, but it has a few problems as well. Here's the deal:

THE GOOD:

Cool bass that will help you get your Sting thing on. Looks cool, plays nice, sounds great in passive mode (see below.)

THE BAD:
    Preamp is dead. When you throw the active/passive switch to "active" the sound totally dies. I have had the bass professionally evaluated, and the repair pro at my local shop pronounced the pre "dead." Preamps can be found that would work well in this, and I was thinking of adding an Aguilar, but decided to move the bass and have the new owner do what he/she wants (or decide to stick to passive mode.)

Missing screws: several from the back control plate (only two present) and one of the truss rod cover screws.

The truss rod nut has had a couple of washers added to achieve enough pull to get the board to a desirable position. I had no problems adjusting the bass to my preferred medium-low action.

Bumps and bruises typical of a bass of this vintage.

The bass will come not with the pictured TI flats, but with roundwounds that were cut for the bass (unlike the flats that are on it.)

Comes with the original case (pictured,) which looks pretty rough but does its job well.

Price is $500 $450 shipped in the CONUS. $450 $375 for in-person pick-up here in NW CT.

DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    bassdude51, Bigoo7e, ktdal and 4 others like this.
  2. msperanza28

msperanza28

Nov 22, 2011
    Essex, CT.
    Pm’d

3. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    At the request of a member, here is what she looks like under the hood:

20190812_203855.jpg

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Interesting project....

subtlestew likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021