1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Price Drop $5000->$4500 Vintage Harold Jaeger 3/4-7/8 Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Zack Sewell, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Zack Sewell

Zack Sewell Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Atlanta
    I work at Music Go Round however this account is not affiliated with them at all. Anything sold, or said is that of my own.
    Price:
    $4500
    Strings:
    I have this labeled as a 3/4-7/8 size bass because it does measure slightly larger than a normal 3/4 bass. For reference, sitting behind the bass is an Ampeg SVT Classic on an SVT610 cab with added casters if that helps you get an idea of height. Roughly 74 inches. This antique upright bass was built in Czechoslovakia. The original sticker is still present and in great shape. It reads "Harold Jaeger Reproduction of Antonius Stradivarius Cremona 1733". It has a solid spruce top with a carved maple back. The German made brass tuning pegs are original and have been well taken care of. They move very smoothly with a great turning ratio. The bass has extremely low action because the previous owner has a bridge that has been shaved down very far. The A string sits too low for my taste and clacks against the ebony fingerboard but might feel great for a beginning upright player. It has several cracks and dings where some have been repaired and some have not. There is no major structural damage. The end pin is seated well but does not have a rubber end. This bass is very loud compared to the basses I have had my hands on. It has a great and very loud mid range and the lows are decent. I am including the stand and a cheap chinese made cherry wood bow. I think this bass would benefit greatly by being reconditioned and refinished. It also needs a new and better bridge. Doing these things could double the value of this bass as I have seen them sell for very high amounts. I am much better versed in electric bass equipment but I will do my absolute best to answer any questions you guys have. Thank you for your time.​

Attached Files: