1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available PRICE DROP 7.2# Geddy P, Modulus Bassstar, 7.2# Warmoth Short Scale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Price:
    650-1600
    Strings:
    Pictures follow in subsequent posts.

Superlight Geddy P -- $700USD

This is one of Denny’s (masterbass) here on TB. I bought it thinking I’d like it, but the neck is just too skinny for me. It is by far the thinnest neck I’ve ever played. It’s also the lightest full scale precision I’ve ever played. He had it set up with super low action. I raised the action. You’ll need to set it up the way you like. Ships in gig bag. The pictures are Denny’s—I have taken it to one band practice in the 6 months I’ve had it. Otherwise, it hasn’t left the house.

7.2# on my digital scale
    Fender Japan Geddy Lee Neck
    Super lightweight precision body, swamp ash
    Badass bridge
    Marks in finish as shown, not visible from a few feet out
    I think it’s a Fender ’62 precision pickup, not sure, but it sounds great, lots of low end on this bass, and the tone knob is very smooth. Comes with alternate pickguards, allen key for bridge, various other case candy.
    D’Addario XL strings
    Comes in nondescript gig bag.

If you’re willing to make a strong offer for the neck or loaded body I might consider parting out.

Original sale thread here: SOLD - Fender 'Geddy P', BadAss II, MIJ Geddy Jazz neck, HSC, only 7.2 pounds!! (I didn't buy the case so I don't have it)

Ca 1989 Modulus Bassstar -- $1600USD

9.2# on my digital scale
    The neck is a “pre-lawsuit” headstock—just like Fender, but says “Modulus.”
    1.5” jazz width neck, roughly like the Warmoth slim taper neck in terms of thickness
    24 frets, but good luck reaching the top 3 or so; the body is a P-bass style body
    Upgraded the tuners to Hipshot ultralites, with double-stop D-tuner.
    Alder body, quilted maple top, transparent red finish. Hard for me to photograph—it is a very striking looking bass.
    EMG P-J setup, BQC circuit, and I upgraded it to 18v, gives a more open sound.
    Dunlop dual design strap locks (body section only), also added by me
    High mass bridge
    Dean Markley Blue Steel strings 45-105.
    Set up for me. You may want to set it up differently.

This was my main bass for quite awhile. It plays wonderfully, can achieve low action if you want that, and has a little less of the twang that came to characterize later Modulus necks. There is one ding in the side (pictured below). Ships in HSC, but I have no idea if it’s the original case.

Warmoth Short Scale Experiment -- $650USD

7.2# (7#,3.6oz) on my digital scale
    Precision pickup, combined with Kala U-bass electronics at bridge, bartolini buffer and pan pot.
    Currently strung with Labella black nylons. Will also throw in a set of Labella Deep Talkin’ Flats.
    Warmoth short scale neck and body (see their website for specs)
    Allparts vintage-style Fender bridge
    USA Hipshot Ultralites.
    Dunlop dual design strap locks (body section only)
    No case or gig bag but I will pack it up carefully.
    Fresh setup by Luthierie MF in Montreal but you may want to set it up your own way.

I am willing to part this out if there is more than one person interested in parts.

No case or bag, but I will box it up well. OR I can take off the neck and strings and ship the neck and body in their original shipping boxes from Warmoth.

I built this as an experiment. It was interesting, and it’s fun and easy to play, but is a little too “neither fish nor fowl” for me. I love my Kala u-bass, and I love my 34” scale basses. I thought it would be brilliant for them to meet in the middle, but it turns out I’d rather have the other two. This one sounds great on the P pickup, and the piezo is surprisingly good as well—though I usually roll off a bunch of high end.

Possible Trade interests (plus or minus cash as appropriate):

Basses:
    Dingwall ABZ 5-string or similar.

USA G&L SB-2 or LB-100, #8 neck, 12” or 9.5” radius, under 9#. (I also have a gold sparkle G&L L2000 with #8 neck and K-switching that I might consider trading for such a bass, but the L2K is not for sale -- original sale thread here if you want to see it: SOLD - FS: 2009 G&L L2000, K-switching )

If you have another precision-style bass with a jazz-style (1.5” nut) neck, or a jazz bass with a precision pickup in the same spot as a regular precision, there is a small chance I’ll be interested. Same restrictions as above apply.

Category Violation:
    Lightweight Bass VI. I’ve got a Squier just over 9# and am looking for something significantly lighter.

Guitars:
    Fender Troy van Leeuwen Jazzmaster around 8#
    Maybe a lightweight G&L SC-2 with tremolo.

You can pitch other things to me but if it doesn’t fit the above I am unlikely to bite. I might be annoying about colour.

Tire-kicking and random questions are always welcome. I know how it goes. Don’t be offended if I reject your lowball offers, though.

Canada post standard shipping and insurance to Canada or US is included in prices—buyers in other countries contact me for a quote. I ship from Canada, which means if there are customs, duties or taxes in your country, you are responsible as the buyer.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. JES

JES Supporting Member

The Geddy P. All pics are Denny's, but the bass has left the house once and otherwise lived in a gig bag. It looks the same.

Ash Precision-Geddy neck-BA II 002-1.JPG View attachment 1020218

Attached Files:

NigelD and G RICH 5 like this.
  3. JES

JES Supporting Member

Here's the Warmoth. It's a very nice transparent red over black korina. And I'm not a great photographer. The last picture that's mostly the neck gives the best sense of the actual look of the wood grain.
    IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0567.jpg IMG_0554.jpg IMG_0550.jpg IMG_0575.jpg

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

update: back on the market

And the Modulus. Same issues apply. The quilted maple is really striking and I have no idea how to properly photograph it.

IMG_1220.jpg IMG_1225.jpg IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0786.jpg IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0792.jpg bassstar-neck.jpg bassstar for head.JPG bassstar back.JPG bassstar.JPG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Bob_Ross likes this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Does Modulus have a truss rod? Thanks

6. JES

JES Supporting Member

No truss rod, but the neck is 100% problem free and I had the frets gone over last summer.

FunkHead likes this.
  7. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    That Geddy is Sweet looking. Wish I had something to trade!

JES likes this.
  8. mustang bass

mustang bass

Aug 23, 2008
    Hi - is the Warmoth 30" scale or 32" scale?

9. JES

JES Supporting Member

30"

Plantbrain likes this.
  10. mustang bass

mustang bass

Aug 23, 2008
    Okay thanks. I'm looking for 32" scale. If you decide to part this out I would be interested in the loaded body.

11. JES

JES Supporting Member

I'd consider it for the right price. Send me a PM! PS -- unloaded, the body weighs 4.0#.

12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Dat Modulus, cot-dayum...

13. JES

JES Supporting Member

Closing this thread. Will sell separately.