No longer available PRICE DROP: Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass [CIJ, 2003-2004, Non-Export, Dolphin Grey]

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Malak the Mad, May 7, 2021.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Price:
    $800
    Strings:
    United States
    Greetings, All!

Submitted for your perusal, a Dolphin Grey, Non-Export, Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass. The "Crafted In Japan" Q-serial number places it among the first runs ever made, somewhere between 2003 and 2004. I took this on as a light restoration project, cleaning off a mild amount of gunk, oiling the fretboard and installing a brand-new set of Fender 7150ML .100-gauge nickels.

The previous owner installed a P/J set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, a Fender Hi-Mass bridge and black strap pins. According to my old, analog UPS scale, it currently weighs in at 9lb.10oz.

Despite it's age, it shows only minor dents and finish chips on the body and headstock. Whomever owned it before me took pretty good care of it, save for the baffling-to-me pair of small screw holes on the back. All are pictured and circled below, as best as I could capture on camera.

The price is $800 shipped to the Lower 48. Anything further will cost extra. If you happen to be in the region of Delaware, Northern Maryland, Southeastern Pennsylvania or somewhere in New Jersey, it is possible a face-to-face transaction could be arranged for a discount. PayPal only for a shipped transaction.

And if you're wondering, I'm not interested in any trades. The proceeds of this sale will be going towards my next parts-bass Projekt, so no thanks in advance. ;)

36kMO8D.jpg
    CsjMi94.jpg
    47mJDaV.jpg
    3ZrCJsY.jpg
    rEOUOWp.jpg
    GMXC43M.jpg
    yL1nucU.jpg
    jSB4WJj.jpg
    8bUkYDy.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  2. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    What a pretty bass! I know that some people will fight for that slab body and beautiful Aerodyne neck! GLWTS, Brian.

Spidey2112 and Malak the Mad like this.
  3. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Hey, you madman, you like projects? I've got a black non-export Aerodyne where the neck is a little bit twisty. PM me if you'd have interest. (Or just wait a few weeks until I've got time to take pics and get it posted.)

And those holes on the back? Let us know if you learn the back story. I wonder if the previous owner attached a wireless transmitter to the bass instead of to the strap.

Anyway, GLWTS. Somebody's gonna get a good deal on a nice axe here...

Malak the Mad likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Sadly, I don't have the woodworking skills, nor the necessary tools, to perform that kind of magic. I guess you could call my tinkering "plug and play" at best.

I got the 'Dyne from Guitar Center, so I never learned the story. What's funny, though, is that's exactly what the guy processing the sale suspected, so perhaps that was the case.

5. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I’ve been thinking about putting a hi-mass bridge on my non-export. Does the Fender bridge fit into the recessed body?

6. Malak the Mad

I couldn't say. I neither installed, nor removed the bridge.

7. Malak the Mad

For "weight conscious" players out there, I just checked with someone who owns one of those Fender Hi-Mass bridges. According to him, switching out the Fender for a classic, bent-plate bridge would shave about 6.5+ ounces off, bringing it to somewhere around 9lb.3oz.

filler83 likes this.
  8. This is a 34" scale bass correct? I'd read something recently that made me wonder if these were 32" medium scale basses. If so..... I'm a bit tempted.

9. Malak the Mad

It's a full, 34" scale Aerodyne. There were non-export, AJB-M models back in the Kanda-Shokai era, but if my memory is correct, those came with a J/J configuration.

Philonius likes this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Price drop to $800. And if we talked via PM about a face-to-face transaction, I'll still apply the discount I offered.

emal likes this.
  11. Malak the Mad

I didn't want to have to do this, but I'm posting an ad for this on Reverb.

12. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Surprised this is still here. The non-export Aeros are awesome instruments, with a neck like no other. Somebody should swoop this up, nice upgrades and not very common in the states.

13. Not_Shane

Not_Shane

Jun 16, 2012
    New Jersey
    Sending a message!

15. please contact me, I'm very interested and in the area for pick up. Thank you

16. Malak the Mad

No longer available.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021