1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD PRICE DROP: Fender MIJ Contemporary Stratocaster - 1986 - RARE System One Tremolo - Candy Apple Red

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by Dub56, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Price:
    Hey all,

Putting this up as a bit of a feeler--I've had this guitar for years, it's really cool, but I'm not really playing electric guitar these days (only acoustic lately).. so I figured I'd see if someone wanted to swap some bass gear for it.

This is a Fender MIJ Contemporary Stratocaster in Candy Apple Red. It has the Fender System 1 tremolo system and a Rosewood fretboard. Serial number puts it somewhere 1984-1987, I'm not sure how to distinguish beyond that without removing the neck (which I haven't done). I believe it to be an '86 based on the "86" in the serial number.

These Contemporary Strats from the 80s are fairly rare from what I understand, and the System One tremolo/bridge is rare & coveted by some. I've seen the bridge alone sell for $400-$500+.

It's a player's guitar for sure, it has a really nice neck on it that I've always enjoyed. I had a 50th anniversary MIA I sold because I liked the way this one played more. It's also a player's guitar in the sense that it is NOT in mint condition. There are dings etc. in the finish which I have tried to show in the photos. I've always found it to be a really nice guitar and these have never bothered me, but I just wanted to be clear that there are signs of use/dings/etc. There are no mechanical problems with the guitar to my knowledge, I've never had issues adjusting it or playing it etc. and the Trem works fine. It could also use a new set of strings etc., it has been in the case for a while.

On the note of the case, it comes with the tweed case pictured, but I don't believe it is the original one.

The pickups have been replaced with Lace Sensors years ago before I received it from the previous owner. Aside from that, there have been 2 minor parts replaced on the bridge (the 'collar' which holds the trem bar in place, and the little tension rings inside it). Other than that, I believe it to be original and it has a lot of the little screws etc. that tend to be missing on these. I have the original Tremolo bar as well. Full disclosure, it may be missing 3 tiny metal plates that go into the locking nut housing on top of the strings, but I'm not 100% sure if it ever had them. It never came with them when I got it and I had used it for years with no issues at all without even hearing anything about those. It DOES have the thick, black metal bottom plates that go below the strings in the same locking nut housing, which actually determine whether it will lock the strings or not. Guitar is complete otherwise (again, not sure if it is missing those thin plates to begin with). If it is a concern to you--you can simply place a small washer inside the housing on top of the strings to emulate the effect, there's really no major difference. I will include 3 washers as well, but I haven't even used them.

As far as trades go... I'm interested in lots of stuff, let me know what you have! Maybe a P bass or something. I like MIJ Fender stuff, Lakland, Reverend, Rickenbacker, Bacchus, Music Man, lots of things. Maybe even a fretless?? Kind of just curious to see if something is out there that speaks to me. I would consider adding some cash if the right offer came up, or would also take some cash in a partial trade.

I'm fine hanging onto this guitar too, I feel it may be worth a decent amount someday (I've seen some similar examples recently listed for quite a bit). I just figured if someone here had some bass gear they might want to trade for it, I might be game! Not looking for a ridiculous amount of 'trade value' here like some of those listings I mentioned, I'd let it go for something reasonable if someone here on TB had a good offer I liked.

Asking $̶9̶9̶9̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶O̶B̶O̶

P̶r̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶D̶r̶o̶p̶-̶-̶$̶8̶5̶0̶ ̶S̶h̶i̶p̶p̶e̶d̶

P̶R̶I̶C̶E̶ ̶D̶R̶O̶P̶ ̶-̶ ̶$̶8̶0̶0̶ ̶S̶h̶i̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶

PRICE DROP - $750 shipped OBO

There's a bass up currently that I'm interested in, so I'm willing to make a really good deal on the strat at the moment if I can move it before the bass moves. Will still consider bass trades as well though.

Thanks for looking, pics below:
    20180331_114041.jpg
    20180331_113956.jpg
    20180331_114255.jpg
    20180331_114230.jpg
    20180331_114158.jpg
    20180331_114150.jpg
    20180331_114005.jpg
    20180331_113956.jpg
    20180331_113948.jpg
    20180331_113944.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    worxforme likes this.
  2. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Anyone have a bass to trade?

Also--PRICE DROP to $850 Shipped OBO CONUS

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Make me an offer! I have my eye on a bass right now and might be willing to take a bit less than I normally would for the strat if I can move it soon. I have it up on Reverb as well, but would be cool for it to go to someone on TB.

4. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    PRICE DROP - $800 SHIPPED OBO

I'm interested in a bass that is up for sale at the moment, so I'm willing to make a great deal on the strat if I can move it before the bass moves..

5. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    PRICE DROP - $750 shipped OBO

6. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    ON HOLD - local deal pending

7. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    SOLD

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021