1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale PRICE DROP German (Karl Hofner) 1943 3/4 carved

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by lukehagerman, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Price:
    $5000
    Strings:
    Available for pickup in Seattle, WA area.

UPDATE 8/1/17 --- I basically have 1.5 months before I really will not have anywhere to put this bass. Likely result of that will be consignment through one of the Seattle shops. I have dropped my asking price to the absolute least I can take, a criminally insane $5000.

UPDATE 7/3/17 --- The studio apartment I moved into at the end of April doesn't have enough corners to fit this lovely lady! Please somebody pull the trigger on this great bass! A̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶.

Details:
    -Eb neck(?), 41" string length
    -New fingerboard (cut and installed by C. Roberts of Cincinnati Bass Cellar in March '16)
    -New bridge (cut and installed by the magical Sarah Balmforth here in WA state)
    -Great setup (also the amazing work of Sarah Balmforth)
    -Loud
    -Bows well, too!
    -Strung with Evah Pirazzi Weichs
    -new Underwood pickup included
    -Quality Mooradian bag included

$̶7̶0̶0̶0̶
    $̶5̶8̶0̶0̶
    $5000

Come try her out!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. Rwddonnelly

Rwddonnelly

Apr 29, 2013
    Washington
    PM'd!

3. Replied!

4. Pic showing the treble side of the scroll appears to show a crack in the neck just below the scroll that was repaired (although it's not visible on the bass side). Is that so?

5. Hey Robert. After playing this bass a lot for nearly 4 years, I'm confident in saying that there are no cracks (repaired or otherwise) in the neck under the scroll. Thanks!

6. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Hey Luke,

Nice looking bass, at a nice price.

As a history enthusiast, I'm just curious about the 1943 Wunderlich label. Also the date on the Hofner label (which I can't quite see in your pic). Given WWII, I'm doubtful it was exported to the U.S. in the early 1940s. Any thoughts on this? I'm sure it's a nice bass regardless, but I'm just curious....

GLWTS,

Paul

7. Hmm, can't say I've ever carried out my own investigation on the labels. The true history of this bass is certainly a bit foggy but I've never minded much because it does feel and sound wonderful. Thanks for the query!

8. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: