SOLD Price Drop: Grove Custom Basses Freekbass Reverse Atlas '51 P Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by FellowBass, May 23, 2019.

1. FellowBass

FellowBass Bass Player Extraordinaire. OK, just ordinaire.

Jan 22, 2011
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Price:
    Strings:
    I've had this bass for a few years, but it's time to let it move on. I'm looking for something with a little more modern/aggressive/driving sound. This is an amazing instrument, though, and someone is going to be very happy.

Straight from Grove: "A build for bass icon, recording artist and touring musician Freekbass. A reverse bodied, one piece, chambered mahogany with Lindy Fralin '51P split single coil."

Specs:
    - chambered darkened grain mahogany reverse '51P body
    - Atlas Explosives dovetailed crate top with F-hole
    - Warmoth lightly flamed maple neck with rosewood fingerboard (Notice, the pics with Freekbass show it with a maple fingerboard and reverse headstock. The neck was changed to a flame maple/rosewood neck with standard Tele headstock by Scott Smail [Grove owner]).
    - Lindy Fralin split coil '51 P pickup
    - chrome German Schaller tuners
    - BadAss II bridge
    - Volume/Tone setup with CTS pots
    - orange drop .047uF cap
    - A-B 15k resistor
    - nitro clear coat
    - strung with flats (really ideal strings for this bass. I'm looking for a more modern tone, which is why I'm looking to change it out)

What you should know:
    It is heavy. Mahogany (even chambered) is not a light wood. It balances well, though, especially considering the reverse body. The horn doesn't cause it to dip too badly at all.
    I have a broken case you can take (pictured). TSA did me the service of breaking the latches -- so I use the center latch and some pedalboard velcro to keep it closed. You'll want to fix the case or get a gigbag or something for the long-term, though.

Pictures were taken today.

Trade interests:
    I'll listen to anything, but I'm currently in the market for a 4-string. I have a little bit of money to add to make any trade even, but I'm not gonna be able to trade for a Dingwall or Sadowsky. I'm thinking a Lakland Skyline DJ, Lakland Skyline Decade, Fender Aerodyne, Fender Blacktop, or something along those lines would grab my attention and be in a comparable-ish price range. But send anything my way as long as you're not offended if I say no.

I've shipped successfully before. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm in Nashville and know people who do, haha.

Send any questions or offers my way!
    IMG-0029.JPG IMG-0030.JPG IMG-0032.JPG IMG-0033.JPG IMG-0034.JPG IMG-0035.JPG IMG-0036.JPG IMG-0037.JPG IMG-0038.JPG IMG-9325.JPG IMG-9326.JPG

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    feschyn, 2saddleslab, R&B and 2 others like this.
  2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

...awesome bass !!
    :cool::cool:

FellowBass likes this.
  3. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Scott is an AMAZING builder and person! I have played this bass and it is an incredible example of his work.

FellowBass likes this.
  4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So cool

FellowBass likes this.
  5. FellowBass

Jan 22, 2011
    Nashville, Tennessee
    There's a bass on local Craigslist I'd like to try, so price drop to $700 that includes shipping in the lower 48. Still accepting trade offers, of course, as well.

6. FellowBass

Jan 22, 2011
    Nashville, Tennessee
    One more price drop so I can snag this local bass...

7. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    You’re killing me smalls!

FellowBass likes this.
  8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Jeez...someone put us all out of our misery and grab this. I almost built a Grove a few years ago and then didn't for some reason. If this were a J-bass I'd be in real trouble.

FellowBass likes this.
  9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I got two weeks before I can spring for anything....believe me I’m looking around to see what I can sell

FellowBass likes this.
  10. FellowBass

Jan 22, 2011
    Nashville, Tennessee
    This bad boy is sold and heading to Florida tomorrow!

Jeff Elkins and redstrand like this.