No longer available PRICE DROP, TRADES UPDATED Roscoe SKB Standard+ 8.3 lbs, 17mm spacing

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 6and5, Dec 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Price:
    $1500
    Strings:
    Purchased this a while back from a fellow TBer. Here's the original thread. I'm selling to fund a new Kiesel IC5 build.
    • Bubinga pommele top / Ash body / Maple neck / Maple fretboard
    • Body appears to have a tung oil finish, not satin, definitely not gloss. The black bits on the top appear to be small, natural bark pockets that are not filled.
    • Neck has a light gloss finish. I definitely prefer tung oil necks, but I never had an issue with this one.
    • Lightweight at about 8.3 lbs, well-balanced, no neck dive with my 3" strap
    • 35 inch scale
    • .669"/17mm string spacing.
    • Bartolini electronics
    Absolutely awesome in a rock band, very full tone, and that Roscoe B is amazing. Cuts through a mix with ease, but can be dialed back to sound nice and polite as well. Lightweight and balances very well. The narrower string spacing is perfect if, like me, the wider 18.3 mm spacing standard on Roscoes is just a little wider than you prefer.

There is a superficial hairline crack on the back, in the top of the 3-piece body right where it joins the middle piece. If you look at the original pics, you can just make it out. Mine show it in a little more detail. I asked the previous owner about it and he said he hadn't noticed it. I believe him because it's really not obvious unless you're looking closely. So I took it to my local luthier, and he said it's definitely not structural, only superficial, and that it could just be a line in the grain that widened a bit when it was shipped from the more damp East Coast out to Cali. He couldn't get it to separate at all. You can see from the one photo, it's about as wide as the joint line between the 2 body pieces, about the width of a sheet of paper. Anyway, he was able to wick a tiny bit of glue down into it to seal it to prevent moisture from getting in, and that's that. It's not going to going to get any bigger, but it's still there, and I'm not going to sell it without calling it out.

Otherwise the condition is as the original owner described, with the exception that there is some light belt rash on the back. Not terrible, and not something I can photograph easily, but again, it's there.

IMG_2280.jpg IMG_2281.jpg IMG_2282.jpg IMG_2283.jpg IMG_2439.jpg IMG_2285.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    How is this still available?

6and5, NamesNotRic and steelin4u like this.
  3. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    I was thinking the same thing. Gorgeous bass at a great price. Only issue is a superficial crack on the back? I'd be all over this, but I'm really trying to hold out for a Roscoe with the MM/J setup, or JJ in the 60s position. GLWTS man.

6and5 and G RICH 5 like this.
  4. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    I was hoping for a lg

5. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Sale pending. On hold for 72 hours.

6. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Back on the sales block!

G RICH 5 likes this.
  7. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Price dropped to $1500, shipped. Price is firm.

Also, possible trade interests listed below. Would consider trade + cash (preferably with cash coming my way).
    • 4-string Fender Jazz, black, with maple fretboard. Must be under 9 lbs. OK if it has a little bit of mojo. I’m looking for an upgrade project, so MIM would be perfect, but I’d consider MIA. Would need to be cash coming my way along with the trade.
    • Amps. Under 30 lbs. and over 500 watts (preferably 800 and above if class D). Will also consider preamp/power amp combos, or just a preamp if you have a cool one.
    • Preamp/DI Pedals. I'm considering putting together a lightweight rig to use with in-ears, so a boutique tube preamp pedal with DI or standalone DI might be an option.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    armybass likes this.
  8. brstma

brstma my dog is an awesome dog Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Florida
    Great deal on a great bass!

9. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Would also consider a 4-string EBMM Stingray H or possibly Sterling H. Needs to be under 9 lbs if possible, or very close to it. I’ll be pretty picky about color and wood combo though. Black with maple FB is a winner.

10. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Now listed on Reverb, if you have Reverb bucks burning a hole in your pocket.

11. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Would love to take this off your hands

12. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    I’d be happy to sell it to you! PM me and we can work out the details.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021