SOLD PRICE DROP! - Vintage 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass - Lightweight! All original with case

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by iwantthatguitar, Feb 5, 2021.

1. iwantthatguitar

iwantthatguitar iwantthatguitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 21, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Vintage 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass - All Original with its OSHC. Black.

For sale or Trade.

Priced at $900 + Shipping (for Sale) - Priced at $1000 + Shipping (for potential trade).

Made in USA. All original, with its hardcase. Lightweight at 8.2Lbs.

CBS era from '78 - '81. As commonly on these years the serial shows S8xxxxx and dates '78 on the pots, although assembly date on the pocket and the pickup shows '81.

Same with Fender Mustangs, Musicmasters were originally marketed as “student” or entry level instruments, but throughout the decades were proven to beat many P-Basses. It’s interesting how thicker and fuller sound you can get with these short scale basses, cutting through the mixes like no other.

The original black finish shows some wear, buckle rush and some scratches on the back due to decades of usage. Although functionally everything works great. Unlike many other Fenders from this era, the maple neck with rosewood fretboard is perfectly straight with fully working truss rod and minimal fret wear with no issues whatsoever. Original 3ply black pickguard with original electronics. Original Hard case in very good condition with all latches working.

One thing to mention is that for some reason the previous owner at some point (i guess unintentionally?) let the bass exposed to some "home renovation environment" and as you might see at some photos there's some white paint spray overall the instrument that you can only notice it from a short distance and as you clearly see, not noticeable from far distance. This does NOT affect anything as far as functionality and at this point not really worth to try to remove it without compromising the original finish...In fact, it really looks cool and add some "modjo", but i have to disclose it.

It'll be professionally packed, insured and shipped to US continental only (Send me a message with your zip code and we'll find the most cost effective options). Local pickup in LA is also welcome at no cost.

1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 2.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 5.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 8.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 6.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 7.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 9.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 10.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 11.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 12.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 3.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 4.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 2.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 3.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 4.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 5.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 6.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 33.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 34.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 35.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster Bass Black - 36.jpeg 1981 Fender Musicmaster V 2 - 1.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    andysvec and don21480 like this.
  2. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    Sweet bass bump!

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Cool little bass. I'd try the speckle removal since that's not the original finish anyway. The 'orange peel' texture indicates a refin. ;-)

4. iwantthatguitar

iwantthatguitar iwantthatguitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 21, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I respectfully disagree Fran, I think the original finish on these entry level instruments at that era weren't the nicest (but it's what many people and i find it "cool"), and by the photos you got that impression, although the finish is clearly original and i'd rather keep it this way :).

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021