1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

price for a '97 Turner Renaisance 4 fretless ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pfschim, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    looking at one locally, for what seems like a good price. It is 9-10 years old. I'm also wondering if the electronics are an older variety, and if that will make a significant difference in sound compared to the newer ones I have played ?

Can anyone help me make up my mind on this ? I'd really like to have a Turner, just don't want to make a buying error over GAS.

Thanks

Paul

2. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    i've heard a few folks praise the earlier preamp.

I hope you get your Ren.

3piezoslarge.

3. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Oh , my , what a pic !!! :eek:

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I love them piezo basses!

piezopossetrio2.

5. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yes, I am looking forward to using one very much. I played one a few years ago at Gryphon Music in Palo Alto and just thought it was the best sounding bass I'd heard in forever. Only problem was that I had no real use for it back then.

Any input or guidance from anyone on a good used price for this puppy ?

6. If you're looking at the bass I think you're looking at, the $800 asking price is a very good deal for what you're going to get, assuming the bass has no issues. In other words, grab it and run.
    I was lucky enough to pick up a used Model One this summer, which has the Highlander piezo and a magnetic pickup too, and absolutely adore it.
    PS--richnota, the only thing cooler than your basses is that floor. Rock on!

7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Got It ! :hyper:

So I piked it up this morning and it just sounds great. Its not as fancy as the ones you guys posted but hey, you gotta go with what you got. Very cool sounding, just like I remember from the first time I tried one.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46505&stc=1&d=1164922805
    Turner 2.jpg
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46506&stc=1&d=1164922805
    Turner 3.jpg

Got it with a Turner gig bag and an extra set of new Thomastik Acousticores. Nice deal on a great bass from a nice guy.

One question though. As I played around with it once I had it home, I noticed that the action feels a bit high above the 10th fret. Neck's not bowed, just seems like maybe the bridge saddle is a bit high. I think I could just shave the saddle a little.

How do any of you other owners clean yours. I need to take the strings off and clean the neck a bit.

I'm a pretty happy camper at the moment :hyper: