Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price for a Fender J-bass replacement nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Mar 28, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hello all,

Quick question: my cheapie Hamer jazz bass uses the exact same nut (dimension-wise) as my Fender Jazz bass. Well, I broke off part of it last time I played and thus decided to simply order a Fender replacement nut. Unfortunately, the shop I ordered from (local) just decided to go ahead and order it without asking me any questions (all I said was that I needed a replacement nut for a Fender Jazz bass and they said they'd call me back before ordering). Well, I called today and they said that they decided to go ahead and order it and that they wouldn't know the price until they received it. So, what's a reasonable price to pay for such a thing? I'm thinking $5 or less (seeing as I will be replacing it myself) - is that correct? Thanks in advance.

2. Yeah, I don't think it should be too much money. Though it would have been nice to ask about some options. Graphite nut, bone nut, etc. I want to get a new one for my MIM fretless. The nut on it isn't really anything great at all, it's really cut out. I can understand that for a fretless, but the grooves are very uneven.

I had a dealer do the same thing to me once too, though it was a cabinet they ordered in!! All I said was I was interested in it, and a few days later, they call me and say my cabinet arrived. Kind of a sleazy thing to do, but it's a good thing I liked it and had the money for it. $800 too.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    my Fender replacement part P-Bass nut cost me $5.95 at a Sam Ash store,
    and the brass and bone blanks I have cost a little less or about the same -

That plastic part has been very valuable for using as a template for me to start slotting the brass blank.
    Also consider that brass won't break off like plastic even if you slot for larger strings and/or closer to edge of fingerboard.

also don't expect the replacement part to just drop into the fingerboard even if on a Fender - let alone your bass - some light sanding of sides probably needed to get a good fit - don't force in.

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Sanding is no problem at all - all I needed was one that had precut string slots seeing as I don't have any files that are rounded (or are the right diameter). I got on to the Fender website and noticed that in their Strings, Parts, & Accessories they list two nuts at $6. So I think that around $5 should be right. Hopefully they ordered the correct one - if they get me a P-bass one I'm not going to be too happy seeing as I specifically said Jazz bass (they seem to get things mixed up a lot, but they're the only Fender dealer in the area). Thanks for the info everyone.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, a little update here: basically, I have no new nut for my jazz bass! Yep, haven't even received a call or anything. Normally, I would give the company the benefit of the doubt and call them however I'm fed up with this company. I have dealt with them before with the same poor results and I'm just gonna call it quits with them now. Why did I order from them in the first place? Well, I figured that it really coun't be too hard to order a replacement jazz bass nut from a Fender dealer but apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, anyone else know where I can get a replacement nut? Online perhaps? Here's the catch though, it has to be jazz bass specifications and it has to be pre-cut (I have no way to cut the grooves). However, slight sanding is no problem. Thanks in advance.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    One more try here in case people who might have an answer missed it, otherwise I'll let it die...

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    A small update for anyone else with this question - I contacted WDMusic Products and they actually carry a pre-cut replacement Fender Jazz Bass nut (not Fender brand, but still...). If I recall correctly, the price is around $3 or so.

HOWEVER...I just found out that WDMusic Products has a $25 minimum order! This isn't cool (especially seeing as I have nothing else that I need from them). And I don't really see any point to this either - I mean, if they were catering to dealers it would be different but since they aren't then that's just pointless and annoying. Looks like they won't be getting my business.