1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Price for a Fender J-bass replacement nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Mar 28, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hello all,

Quick question: my cheapie Hamer jazz bass uses the exact same nut (dimension-wise) as my Fender Jazz bass. Well, I broke off part of it last time I played and thus decided to simply order a Fender replacement nut. Unfortunately, the shop I ordered from (local) just decided to go ahead and order it without asking me any questions (all I said was that I needed a replacement nut for a Fender Jazz bass and they said they'd call me back before ordering). Well, I called today and they said that they decided to go ahead and order it and that they wouldn't know the price until they received it. So, what's a reasonable price to pay for such a thing? I'm thinking $5 or less (seeing as I will be replacing it myself) - is that correct? Thanks in advance.

2. Yeah, I don't think it should be too much money. Though it would have been nice to ask about some options. Graphite nut, bone nut, etc. I want to get a new one for my MIM fretless. The nut on it isn't really anything great at all, it's really cut out. I can understand that for a fretless, but the grooves are very uneven.

I had a dealer do the same thing to me once too, though it was a cabinet they ordered in!! All I said was I was interested in it, and a few days later, they call me and say my cabinet arrived. Kind of a sleazy thing to do, but it's a good thing I liked it and had the money for it. $800 too.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    my Fender replacement part P-Bass nut cost me $5.95 at a Sam Ash store,
    and the brass and bone blanks I have cost a little less or about the same -

That plastic part has been very valuable for using as a template for me to start slotting the brass blank.
    Also consider that brass won't break off like plastic even if you slot for larger strings and/or closer to edge of fingerboard.

also don't expect the replacement part to just drop into the fingerboard even if on a Fender - let alone your bass - some light sanding of sides probably needed to get a good fit - don't force in.

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Sanding is no problem at all - all I needed was one that had precut string slots seeing as I don't have any files that are rounded (or are the right diameter). I got on to the Fender website and noticed that in their Strings, Parts, & Accessories they list two nuts at $6. So I think that around $5 should be right. Hopefully they ordered the correct one - if they get me a P-bass one I'm not going to be too happy seeing as I specifically said Jazz bass (they seem to get things mixed up a lot, but they're the only Fender dealer in the area). Thanks for the info everyone.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, a little update here: basically, I have no new nut for my jazz bass! Yep, haven't even received a call or anything. Normally, I would give the company the benefit of the doubt and call them however I'm fed up with this company. I have dealt with them before with the same poor results and I'm just gonna call it quits with them now. Why did I order from them in the first place? Well, I figured that it really coun't be too hard to order a replacement jazz bass nut from a Fender dealer but apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, anyone else know where I can get a replacement nut? Online perhaps? Here's the catch though, it has to be jazz bass specifications and it has to be pre-cut (I have no way to cut the grooves). However, slight sanding is no problem. Thanks in advance.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    One more try here in case people who might have an answer missed it, otherwise I'll let it die...

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    A small update for anyone else with this question - I contacted WDMusic Products and they actually carry a pre-cut replacement Fender Jazz Bass nut (not Fender brand, but still...). If I recall correctly, the price is around $3 or so.

HOWEVER...I just found out that WDMusic Products has a $25 minimum order! This isn't cool (especially seeing as I have nothing else that I need from them). And I don't really see any point to this either - I mean, if they were catering to dealers it would be different but since they aren't then that's just pointless and annoying. Looks like they won't be getting my business.