Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

price for a P '72

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by watanabe71, May 28, 2005.

1. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    I would like to buy a P '72 and the seller is wating for an offer from me. It's a sunburst one with a rosewood neck, it's all original except one knob, nut and the pickguard (it has the original bridgeguard). The finsh is in good condition, with only a 3 x 3 cm. area without finish close to the neck plate. Also around the screws of the nick plate i can see the wood, but for a very little area. Comes with a fender case (not original i suppose..).
    How much for it???
    Thanks
    Franco

Attached Files:

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That looks pretty cherry so he's probably looking for a lot from it. I paid $850 for a '78 with a stripped finish, chipped fingerboard, aftermarket pickguard, and no ashtrays ... and this bass is older, more original, and in much better shape. I'd jump off around $1200 but be ready to go higher if you really want the bass.

3. Gruhn Guitars has a '73 with same finish, they want 1700 for it (ouch!!!).....

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Wanna talk about "ouch", I recently paid $1900 (US) for an identical '72 P just a few weeks ago...similar bass you pictured with original finish in similar condition, sunburst alder body/rosewood board, mine came with original parts, covers, finger rest, case, and the date codes on the pots, pickups, and neck all matched.

At the same time I was shopping, there were three other 71-72 P's all same SB/RW that I was considering, and two of them would have been 1700 and the third would have been 1800. But all the other three were missing the chrome covers, finger rest, and the original cases gone too (I must have all these pieces). So the current going rate seems to be high-teens for early 70's alder-body P's.

So with a few missing or changed parts, 1500 (possibly up to 1600) is probably a realistic going rate for that one. Original pickguards are getting expensive to replace.

[​IMG]

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Back around 2000 I payed 700 for my SB/RW 73 Pbass...with original case and 2 extra sets of pickups. Not quite as clean as that one, but all original

I would think 1000-1200 would be all I would pay.

6. I actually played that one yesturday! It was pretty cool, I would actually buy it if it was several 100 dollars cheaper. It's on consignment.

But anyways, I would say around $1,200

7. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    Thanks to all. I have appreciate your help.
    I will start with 1300 and wait for reply. Nothing over 1600.
    I'm not a collector, i'm just looking for a good and real P one for play and enjoy, so this not-all-original one is the right P for me. I'm happy with my '81 Stingray...

Just one other question: is a '69 so better ,as a collector can say, than a 71-72? About sound and neck, i mean.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It's basicly the same bass, but anything in the 60's is worth more.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Probably, just since people are fixated on the 1960s, but both are CBS made basses and quality is probably very simmilar as a player. I'm not sure if there are any wood differences (ash vs alder).

PS. Theres a guy on Gbase that wants almost 3 grand for a '72 P. :eyebrow:

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The 69 to 72 (some early 73's) are the same bass....light weight alder bodies (you got ash only with natural finishes), and the rosewood necks are the same. Same pickups. And the details are the same: tort guard, finger rest on the treble-side, and the TV logo, poly finish. All the details of this series of bass is still very similar to the mid-late 60's fenders.
    And that is why the prices of these are jumping very fast lately. The 60's stuff is now outrageous, and collectors are now realizing the early 70's stuff were still made with the same wood/details so now they're going after them.
    The perfect example is what buring skies said: 5 years ago he bought his cheap, yeah, they all sold cheap then...but not any more. I have a cherry 69 Jazzbass I bought at a good price a few years ago. Have you seen what a 69 J sell for lately? The value of my Jazz has more than doubled of what I paid for it.

In my eyes the mid 70's to early 80's series are a whiole different animal, and will always be valued differently.....
    Late-73 into 74 is when things changed, fender switched to using predominantly heavy ash bodies (alder was phased out), the maple board was now standard issue (and rosewood became the option), tort guards went away and switched to black guards, and the finger rest was moved and became a thumb rest. Not only that, but fenders' production factory got really sloppy during the late 70's era too.

I get tired of people lumping all "70s" fenders together, and trying to figure why a 72 is worth more than a 78...now you know why.

11. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    thanks Caca de Kick,
    really exhaustive reply.

Franco.

12. And to think that I bought my original '73 P-bass in 1986 for $320.00 & then sold it a couple years later. :(