Price For a Used Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I hit up the GC yesterday with my friend and his dad. Me and his dad, both being bass players, went the little bass room while he tried out the Mesas. So i'm playing a couple basses, then I look up and guess what I see? A RICKENBACKER! I've been wanting to play a Rickenbacker since I signed up for Talkbass and my chance was finally there. There was the older Ruby Red John Myung Signature 6 string up there too, which I liked, but that's not as important as the Rickenbacker. ;)

So I have the dude take it down, and I start playing it. I really liked it, but I noticed it has flatwounds. I couldn't get the crunchy greatness to it's full potential. It was black with a white pickguard, and it was $1200 used. So I say to this guy, "Since this is used, can I get this for $800?" And he goes, "Ahh... the thing is, we barely make any money off these trade-ins" and immediately my bull**** alarm went off. I can get a new Rickenbacker for $1200 right? He said he would include a new set of strings and a strap, but I just think that's kind of ridiculous. Your thoughts?
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I think you can get Ricks for just under $1200 new now a days but he's just trying to rip you off. Unless it was a 4001 I don't see why he's asking for so much
  3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    You can get a new one for about $1100. You'll also get a case with it.
  4. DO NOT PAY $1200. A new one can be had for that price and less.

5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, it's bull. I remember when Ric's were a grand new with case. They've gone up a bit, but that's still a ripoff.

Sure it was a 4003?
  6. I bought my new Ric with a case for just under a grand in march. No way they can charge that much for a 4003. Now, if it's a 4001 in good condition that price sounds more reasonable.

When I lived in Chicago one of the guitar centers there had a used 4004 for 750 hanging on the wall.
  7. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    1200 is definetly a ripoff. New ones can be had for around 1k and if you want vintage, they're on ebay from 600-1200 usually.
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The tag said 4003. I'll call back and check again. The odd thing was, it had flatwounds. Another thing that was odd was even though it was use, it still had the Made In America sticker on the pickguard. It was in 100% perfect condition.

I want this over a Stick now, I just need to talk to my parents more... :meh:
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Nothing wrong with flats on a Ric. It worked out for Paul McCartney pretty well, and mine often wears flats.
    $1200 is high used, but you do occasionally see them go that high on Ebay. If you can find one in stock at most of the online dealers, you can usually get one for a bit less than $1100, with case, brand new.
  10. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Rotosound flats + Rick is the tone of the gods, or at least me when I get my Rick in the next week or so :)

Definately check to see if it's a 4001 because $1200 is far too high for a 'used' rick
  11. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    I bought a Jetglo 4003 w/case about 6 months ago for $999 from ........I sold it after about a month for $1150 on e-bay. I loved the bass, but I needed the money. I wish I could have made that much money off of everything else that I've sold after buying them new.
  12. i bought mine for 950 new with case from my local music store.. granted tax made it a little more but 1200 for a 4003 is insane, dont do it.
  13. What a bunch of suckers, ;)

I got mine brand new with a case for $645.00 +tax

Okay, so it was 1984. Some of you weren't even born yet.
  14. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    That's a bit much. I've seen used ones go for about a grand on the Bay. You might want to try there.

BTW, I picked up my '76 4001 in 1994 for $650 from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. Still have it. I've got a '77 as well which is awaiting a total restoration.

15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Exactly, I work in a shop that sells Rics and we have been waiting about 9 months for the ones we have on order..... :meh: