Price For a Vintage 70's Fender P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Jan 2, 2003.

1. What do yall think would be good fro a price for a vintage 70's P-Bass taht been sitting in a locked hardcase for around 20 years...a teacher of mine may be willing to sell it for me...any idea what i should bid for?

2. Since it's been locked away for 20 years we'll assume in it's in near mint condition. Have you played it? Just because it's from the 70s doesn't automatically make it a great bass, it's just old.

Okay, if it sounds/plays very good, I'd offer no more than $500 for it. That's just me. You can get a brand new P-bass for about $700. This vintage thing can mislead some people. If you want it for the vintage aspect by all means buy it. I'd rather have a new reissue as long as it sounds reasonably close to the original.

If this guy wants too much more, I'd pass it up.

Good luck.

3. I have a 73 Fender P bass that I bought about 15 years ago for $400 with a small amp from a guy who bought it used off a jazz musician years earlier but never played it. After a little while I thought the output was a little low so I took it apart to find all the electronics badly corroded and some wires hanging by a single strand. I put in new pickups and redid the wiring and since then it's the only bass I'll use. When bands come in our studio they'll pass up their over $1000 basses in favour of mine for recording. The tone is that good. It may have had a hard life in my care but it's still a great instrument and that's not just according to me. Far better than a brand new Fender P someone brought in a while ago. The few times I've lent it to someone in a live situation in emergencies they just play a few notes and look at the instrument in amazement and later tell me how much easier it is to play then their own bass.
    Just my $.02