Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price for home recording softwares

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 5, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    can you please me help in listing the prices of PC software that could be useful for home recording purposes?

reorders, sequencers, virtual keys, sound generators... everything you know about.

thanks

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks. this will help me a lot!

3. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    I strongly recommend downloading Kazaa and downloading the software for um...free if you are on broadband.

hey, sonar for $0 is a steal for me (literally..)

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I, and many others here too, strongly recommend AGAINST downloading cracked versions.

So go ahead, enlighten us all. What kind of wisdom can YOU offer to justify your actions? And make sure it's a nice long response, too. While you're typing that I'll come over to your house and help myself to any equipment of yours I might be able to use. I'll read your response when I get back. :rolleyes:

5. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    Hey buddy, i think you need to settle your old wrinkly ass down. If you weren't such a church boy maybe you would understand my point of view. I strongly recommend AGAINST buying sonar because IMHO its a piece of junk. For the average person, it would take a very long time to learn to manage the simplest things in it. Its not as easy to handle for editing the sound, mixing it, recording...whatever. Cool Edit 2000 (a free shareware program) is the best software I've tried yet. Its very easy to get into and you can learn it fast without any help. It can do everything Sonar can do and more. So I'm 100% glad I downloaded the cracked version of Sonar before buying because now I know it is plain dog ****. I would never spend more than $30 on it, let alone $200.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's some about face.

If that's your point of view then your apparently young, smooth ass failed miserably at getting it across the first time. There's absolutely no connection whatsoever between your two posts other than you advocating downloading broken, uh, I mean cracked, versions of software.

I still don't understand the rationale for downloading cracked versions as opposed to the real thing. Most vendor's are getting better at making the demos more usable. How intelligent is it to base a purchase decision on a piece of code you KNOW is already broken?!?!

7. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    lol, you old people crack me up.

If you didn't know..when they say it is "cracked" they don't mean in it a literal sense. Cracked means that they simply copied the install files from the original CD, and then they also include a .reg file or a program to generate a cd-key. That's all it is. Its not some "broken" version like you seem to think. It's the exact program you'd be buying, but for free.

8. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    "If you want an expert opinion, ask a teenager". So true.

Some of the stability problems people blame on the software they stole are caused by irresponsible people such as yourself hacking the code or even the binaries. Then the developers making a career of serving musicians get screwed because the word gets around in your circles that the software's a dog. I've probably been in the software business longer than you've been alive, sonny. I've seen tricks you haven't imagined yet.

To get back on topic, barrosso, are there any packages in particular you're interested in?

Also, you could check out
    Hitsquad's web site. They separate software into all kinds of categories, you can download demos and buy the software, offers discussion board for many products (as long as you take the opinions for what they're worth). The only issue I found with Hitsquad is that they don''t always keep up with new versions. However, you can still get the info you're looking for and check the manufacturer's site for later versions.

My apologies for taking your thread off track, but I felt like it was a necessary sidestep. Good luck finding what you're looking for.