Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

price for installation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by master-o'-disaster, Aug 10, 2000.

1. master-o'-disaster

master-o'-disaster

Jul 27, 2000
    i have a question to anyone who can answer this. alright, i want to add on one pickup to my pbass, (a Carvin j99 single coil) but im not sure how much installation will cost, or if they will even do it. i dont want to pay for something they cant do, so can someone give me a range as to how they price it, opr if they can do it. as you may know the pbass has a pickgaurd so i was thinkin just put farther up the strings off of the pickgaurd. help me out fellas and ladies......

2. I've never paid to have such a thing done, so I can't help you. But, I will tell you that you can do it yourself if you feel comfortable with tools and have access to them. You'll probably need a router, among other things. I installed my first pickup when I was about 17. It still works fine. I didn't have a router, but I had a jig saw, so there is a big hole all the way through the body of my Kramer and you can see the back of the pickup from the back of the bass! (Ah, the stupidity of youth.)

A lot of times, the only way to get something like that done perfect is to do it yourself. Most times, the guys you pay don't do any better job than you would do yourself, and you have to pay them for it.

Chris