Price for price. Yamaha or Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ny_chan, Aug 7, 2005.

1. I'm actually torn between buying a Yamaha TRB/BB which is about the same price as either a Lakland skyline 55-01 or 55-02. That's the budget that I have.

Heard good things about Laklands.

I've tried the Yamaha's here but because there is no Lakland dealer here I have to get some help from you forummers here.

Anyone? :)
  2. Well yamahas IME are really good basses, but outside of the signatures they seem kind of bland, but not bad at all. On the other hand, lakland 55-01s have a nice aggressive character to them and sound really full. Cool slap tones too.

Yamahas are great, but I definately think the Laklands are a better value.
  3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

+1. I absolutely love my 55-02.
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Lakland is the best option,why? because they have a good reputation as a killer deal,they have one of the best reseller value,and they are easy customizable with aftermarket parts,more easy than the Yammy one.
  5. You are right on bout parts and customization......

What is the difference between the 55-01 with NTMB and the various aspects.

However, my concern is, can I be assured of sound, quality & bass arriving safely. If I get one, I plan to order direct from Lakland to Malaysia. Halfway round the globe. Risky, or am I too paraniod :eyebrow:
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

It's tough to go wrong with a Lakland, and their customer service is great. As for shipping a bass to Malaysia, I guess it depends on the shipping company. Lakland will pack the bass well, and ship it however you want, but once it's in the hands of the shipper, who knows???

I love my Lakland, and I'm glad I ordered it, even though I hadn't played the particular model I ordered (I had a chance to play some other Laklands in a store and was very impressed). I'd rather have a Lakland than a Yamaha. But shipping ANYTHING halfway around the world is a risk; if you can get a Yamaha locally for a good price, it might be better to avoid the hassle. I was lucky when I ordered a "grey market" home theater projector from Japan for $5000 a few years ago; it came quickly and works flawlessly. But until it arrived and I plugged it in, I was really nervous. :meh:
  7. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i personally wouldn't recommend any buying anything without testing it prior to purchase. someone else's idea of a good product could be your idea of garbage. Try and track down a laklan or two in malaysia before you make up your mind.
  8. I'm gonna assume that's gonna be real freakin hard to do. There's not one within miles of me and i'm in the continental US. If anyone thinks a 55-01 is garbage they must not have been looking for a well built, great sounding bass. There aren't many sounds you can't get out of a 55-01 with proper EQ. You might need a set-up after all that shipping, but that'd be it.

The 55-01 has two soapbar style Bart MK-1 pickups, where as the 55-02 has the MM style at the bridge and a J at the neck. Most people prefer the 55-02 and say it's worth the cash over the 55-01 NTMB, but they do indeed have the same pre-amp. IIRC. The 55-02 will probably be a little more aggressive and verisitile as well, but i don't have any hands on experience.
  9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i wasn't saying a 55-01 is garbage. i was trying to make the point that one person's opinion of something COULD be the opposite of someone else's opinion of the exact same thing.

Listen man; if there is nothing around you then that's just too bad. BUT, if you could somehow manage to find a way of testing something out before you bought it, wouldn't you go to great lengths to do so? Especially if its a big purchase like a new bass?
  10. Yea, but the guy's in malaysia That'd be like me going and trying to test drive a Skyline GT-R before i bought it. I'd love to, but odds are it ain't happenin. More power to him if he can find one...and more power to me if i can find that illegal car for sale :ninja:

and yea you're right. i guess someone COULD not like good craftsmanship...the bass is put together well and that's a fact. :p
  11. Actually tried looking for a dealer around the region. Singapore, maybe Thailand. A Singapore dealer was listed but when I called, they were like Huh? Lakland? never heard of it.

I'll say test driving a Skyline GT-R is easier here :smug:

I understand what you guys mean. It's like an arranged marriage :p.

Was considering Ibanez BTB basses, Yamaha TRB/BB, Warwick Rockbasses, Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP, Fenders...everything available in this region.

Narrowed down to Schecter, Lakland, Peavey & Ibanez. About the same price. Lakland looks the strongest of the lot. That's from specification.... :meh:
  12. Yamahas & Ibanezs are easy to get here.

The BIGGEST question is. Is Lakland worth the risk ?? :bassist:
  13. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    my personal experience with laklands is that they are extremely well made basses, with great tone and playability.

I just don't know if they're a risk or not. See if they would easy to sell in your second hand market. if you find that there potential buyers, you could order the bass with the belief that you may be able to get most of the price back.
  14. What bass do you own?

I know instruments are very personal stuff. Is it easy to get them in Australia?
  15. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i own a 'ray copy (i have no idea what it is, the emblem was removed from the headstock before i bought it off a freind) and a SX jazz. i've only been playing for 13 months, so i don't see the need to get a super-duper bass yet. i am working on paying off a GK 1001RBII at the moment.

However, i have been involved in music all my life, so i have a good understanding of what values an instrument should have.

They aren't easy to get because we're a small market. but they can still be found at places like bass centre in melbourne, or billy hydes, or frontier music.

Edit: BTW, i have an annoying habit of going to music stores and playing almost every bass they have. its a time consuming hobby, but it has allowed me to test and A/B many basses and formulate general ideas of certain basses.
  16. So, from your hobby what would be your dream bass?

If you have USD800 to spend what would you buy? Really. I might just take your advice.
  17. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I would probably get a used sterling or stingray. They fit me like a glove.

As far as i know, my dream bass doesn't exist.

But it would have the tone of a warwick thumb, the old school growl of a rick 4003, the deep raw lows of a p, the smoothness of a j, with the personality of a 'ray, versatility of a bongo and the playability of a sterling.

Edit: it will also have the string spacing of ANY lakland.
    If it exists, i encourage any one to let me know.
  18. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    The 55-01 doesn't have the mid switch that the 55-02 has. On the 55-02 you can change the mid from 250k up to 800k.
  19. Do you say a Lakland have that quality?

Since it was built to be something of a MM and J-bass....

Or is it way off :rolleyes:
  20. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    laklands are awesome instruments. they are chameleons, and they were the 'pre-sadowsky' sadowsky. i.e. they were the 'in' basses for a while and for good reason. considering that lakland started out (and still do) modify MM basses, it is easy to see why laklands do have a lot of the MM character.

Check this out:

They are great basses. it sounds to me that subconsciously you have already made up your mind... :)