1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

price increases and used market

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by USAJO, Mar 27, 2009.

1. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Much to my surprise I have spent most of the last 8 months working on guitar playing. I gig on bass but all my spare time is trying to do what I need to do on guitar in a tribute band. So I have my 89 Stingray that gets my weekend gig time and I have another bass that I don't touch because it has a rosewood board and I have a hard time seeing it when the stage is dimly lit or dark. To the point, Fender recently had a significant price increase across the board. My bass is in excellent shape and a quality instrument. If you were selling your used Fender do you see it's value increased due to the Fender price hike?

2. Yes.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Of course, that's the way it works.

4. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I know it seems obvious but somehow it's seems funny that for once I could actually profit from this. Until I buy the next item I guess.

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    wow..
    Yes, the price of the retail market will have an effect on the used market.

Fender's hanging on the wall at GC have risen in price around 30%, people will see that and apply the new value to their own instruments.
    example:
    "Hey, that Geddy is now $1200. I have a gently used Geddy at home, and was going to sell it off at a price of $600. Now that I see that, It's fair to ask for $900"

6. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    is this some kind of "trickle" economics? ;)

7. Truth. I see that one of the major online dealers is asking $900 for a used Geddy.

Roger