Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

price of a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lil_bass_player, Sep 29, 2003.

1. does anyone know a resonable price for a used bass?
    I really really really wanna get one, but all I have is $100.
    Where do you buy a used bass?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. well... get about $20, and you can buy a new one from www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

I've heard they are REALLY good for the price.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    They've got some good looking stuff for $200 and
    under. For around $300, you can get a real creampuff.. The stuff looks nice for the price!

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Pet, I am curious.....have you played the SX basses you are so down on? Perhaps I will direct you, and the buyer in question to the Essex basses megathread, to hear from those that have actually played them. I've owned a few, and they are as good as a MIM IMO.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup. I've owned basses worth quite a bit, and my Essex Jazz really is a great deal for the money and better than several MIMs I've tried. Even if someone was "serious" I wouldn't advise spending $6500 on a vintage Fender P. Simply put, at a price like that it would have to be a collector's item, and it would be far from a great player compared to basses these days.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We're glad you're happy with your bass, but it still does nothing for the original poster here on his question.

So I ask again, do you have any basis for your objection to the SX basses? I personally reccomend them to every beginner, they are fairly well made, and very suitable as a student bass.....at a price that simply can't be beat.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, since you have edited your post claiming all $100 basses are essentially unplayable junk, and that he should go spend $5000 on a pre-cbs fender, just because you happen to like yours.....

I guess my posts no longer make any sense.

I'm interested in seeing a couple pics of this P-bass as well.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    FYI, PET was claiming that SX basses are crap, and that his 43 year old P-bass is the best bass ever, due to brazilians claiming their rosewood as holy wood or something, and that everyone should buy one of these, because anything less apparently sucks.

Since he started to eat crow, he decided to take his ball, and go home crying.

:rolleyes:

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I agree, I have played the pre-cbs P-bass owned by Calvin "fuzzy" Samuels. This bass is on numerous recordings, from Crosby Stills and Nash, to albums with Eric Clapton, many live tours, jams with Hendrix himself, etc.

IMO that bass played like ass, and had the typical sound, if you're into that.

All the mojo in the world won't make playability any better

10. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    what don't you like about them? specifics

11. Squire basses (by Fender) are made in Mexico or overseas. From entry-level on upwards, Squire basses are good-sounding, nice-playing instruments.Check them out and let us know what you think!

SQUIRE BASSES

;) Treena

12. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Sorry, I don't dig Esseex's that much. I mean, hell for the price they are awsome, and great for beginners... Just when I play one in my hands, it kinda feels off to me, but you should totally get one... Here--------- . Stick with a 4-stringer for a while...

13. I confirm that :)

14. You hate my Essex? :bawl:

Anyways, that's just because your used to your fancy over $1000 Ibanez :spit:

15. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Na man... It feels off when I play it... A ton of basses feel like that, that's just my way of saying that the neck is too big, (which compared to mine it is!!)... I don't really play different basses often enough, so I'm not used to anything but mine really...

16. Same here when I play your's. It's just because I'm not used to it and it ain't my bass ;). And yes, my neck is pretty fat.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SX basses are not pre CBS Fenders.:rolleyes:

But for the price, they are a killer value.

I own a Cirrus, a Zon, a Lakland Skyline and a Fender Jazz. I still like my SX P Bass copy. No, it's not as nice as my Zon, but for $99 it was a great bargain.

18. does anyone else find it funny because Tim Cole is talking to himself? :p