1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Price of a Pre Ernie Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by captain bass, Apr 23, 2009.

1. captain bass

captain bass

Jan 28, 2009
    Can anybody tell me how much I expect to get for a pre-Ernie Ball Stingray, I think the year is '78. It is in mint condition and has had no alterations.

Keen to hear some prices, thanks.

2. For a mint '78, I dunno... I would pay around $1500, but that is just a total guess and my own gut. I don't know what the market says about this. I paid $1100 my modern Stingray. These are all CDN prices.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I believe that an original 78 Stingray in VG condition should be in the $2000-$2500 range.

4. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
  5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That didn't take long.

6. gig-getter

gig-getter

Oct 5, 2007
    Author of Gig-Getter & Rouse the Crowd
    Same year, great condition. Paid £1700 for it which is c. $2500 USD. That's about the "book" price (Vintage Guitar Directory and Blue Book of Electric Guitars). I've got a 2007 LE Ray as well but have to say the 78 is a dream to play...

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    All original normal wear pre EB stingray with no issues is worth about $2000. A little less if any damage to the body or neck finish (i.e. belt buckle rash on the back thru the finish into the wood). Worth a little more if its a rare color (non burst is typically worth more). Worth even a little more if its in true mint condition (i.e. no paint chips, all original mutes intact, original case, original hang tags, etc). All in all you should expect to get about $2000 to $2200 for it on Ebay if its VG cond or maybe as much as $2500 if its a rare color, mint condition with orig case and hang tags. All bets are off if anything on the bass (besides the pickguard) is not original or has ever been replaced or refinished regardless of how well it was done or who did it.
    Beware, the current state of the economy has put a real damper on the number of people spending money to invest in basses. There's a lot of low ballers out there right now trying to snatch up stuff from sellers that are in a bind. My advice - sell if you want but don't settle for anything less than $2000. Once the economy turns back around you'll probably be able to get a better price for it.