Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price of Jazz bass in America?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hobbes, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Can any of you American TBers give me an idea as to how much an American Series jazz bass (with S1 switch) sells for over there? I'm after getting one and was thinking about purchasing it from the USA since your prices are way better than ours.

I've been on a couple of websites and they seem to retail at around $1049, but are you able to bring retailers down in price and pick them up any cheaper than this at all?

Any info greatly appreciated.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    a 4 string US highway 1 (s1 switch) costs about 900 us i believe?

3. Cheers for the reply Johans. I was actually looking at the American Series Jazz though, I think the Highway is a different model isn't it?

4. I've seen the Standard American Jazz Bass in stores (new) for $999.00

5. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    The price and your ability to haggle really depends on where you but it from. But you should be in the clear anyway with the exchange rate you'd be getting.

6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Hi, I saw a couple at GC at $802, but they might have been really limited colors, and perhaps they were overstock....

7. Cheers for the replys so far everyone. Yeah you're right Nino, I know it would depend a bit on which shop it's purchased from in term of how much you can haggle. I'm just wnodering what prices people have seen or bought them for.

In England the cheapest I've seen one for is £730 ($1,300), but the usual retail price is nearer £850-£900 ($1,520-$1,600).

8. KeithBMI, does that $1,000 include sales tax. If not what percent is that on top?

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Sales tax varies from state to state, unlike your 17.5% VAT. For 2 or 3 states it's 0% and goes up close to 10% in some other states. Here in CT it's 6%.

Don't forget, if you have it shipped to you you'll have to pay import duties (VAT).

10. Yeah have got the import duties in mind, am just trying to find what the best price for the bass would be, then see if it works out better after adding the shipping cost and import duties.

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Since you're buying over the internet, you probably wouldn't get charged sales tax. You will be limited to which companies you can work with because not every company is willing to ship overseas.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I bought my 00 P bass new for $800 and my 02 jazz for $720 at GC, both MIA. No special sales or anything.