Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price of used warmoth neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I found a Warmoth neck used for $120 + $20 shipping. It is the 13 degree angled "pointy" headstock variety and is rosewood fretboard on maple. It's a little beaten up (cig burn + some filled in drill holes on headstock by nut). Does this sound like too much?

I'll be using it in a custom project that will involved a Seymour Duncan MM pickup + active electronics on a Carvin body. By the way, what do you guys think of this as a design:

Black rosewood neck with pointy headstock on black Carvin bolt on body with black pickguard and a red, sunburst-like ring around the black pickguard?

Thanks.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think you can get a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard for about $150 from Carvin, although it might not be finished.

Since you're getting stuff from Carvn, why not get a bass kit? Then you'd get the electronics and the hardware too.

3. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    a new neck from Warmoth is only like 170, take a look at their showcase and I'm sure you'd find something without cigarette burns, etc....

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Way too much, I think. Mighty Mite Necks NEW are only $150 or so. Standard Warmoths are only $167 and then you choose your frets. $120 for a hacked neck is pretty expensive.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You'd better check the dimensions of the neck heel on the Warmoth and the neck pocket on the Carvin. I don't think you'll get it to fit wtihout a lot of surgery. I have a Bolt kit. The Carvin neck is wonderful to play on.

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    2-1/2" is usually a standard "Modern" heal size.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I just measured my Carvin. The width is just a touch over 2 3/8" at the end. I didn't remove the neck to measure the length or depth. If you go to the Warmoth site you'll find their dimensions which are designed to fit most Fender bodies.

You're better off getting a Carvin neck. It fits perfectly with no play and shimming needed. The fretwork is great and it's a very stable neck. I've never had problems with mine and it's my favourite to play on.

8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    With all of this said, the best thing to do is to measure the neck pocket on the body you have and decide on your options. Warmoth is definately cut for "Fender" style copies. If your Carvin is anything other than 2-1/2" (Standard Fender) than Warmoth is not an option.