Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Price question on a Zon Sonus.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willsellout, Jan 23, 2006.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I have a fairly beat up but really great Zon sonus special that I might be looking to sell. It plays great and has a nice Bubinga top on it with an Ash body. There is some serious checking in the finish however. Mostly small stuff, but there are a couple large check/cracks that are just through to the finish, not the wood. The neck paint is also peeling a little on the ramp to the fretboard and there are a couple chips of paint on the headstock. This particular bass has a 2 band Bartolini preamp and it has the J pickups centered closer to the bridge. Does anyone have any idea what I would be looking at getting for selling it? Any help would be really appreciated. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Dan

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Pics would really help. Yeah, that's the ZB-3 preamp by Bartolini.

I've seen Zons in workhorse/player shape go for anywhere from 1000 to 1500 depending on details of the condition.

3. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I am working on pics right now. I am charging the battery on my Digi Camera and will post. Hopefully the checks will show up.

4. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Hi Dan

May be a little off topic but I'm just wondering what you meant by 'the ramp to the fretboard'? Is this bass one of the earlier ones that have a glossy finish on the back of the neck? Oh and is it fretted or fretless?

Trev

5. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    From the body onto the neck there is a ramp up. It does have the glossy finish on the neck and is fretted. It seems to be a 90's bass, not quite sure though. I was thinking about contacting Zon to see. I have pics and am going to post them hopefully tonight. Maybe that will help?

Dan

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Found info on the preamp, too...

[​IMG]

7. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    This bass actually has the pickup blend/volume stacked.

Dan

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmm...that almost matches the description of my old zon that i sold to cameron at trading basses...if it is, i unloaded it for 1000.00 on the 'bay for buy it now in about 15 minutes...if you look on the heel of the bass, check the serial number...mine was a '95...excellent bass, but i sold it to pick up an mtd 535

9. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    Here are some pics of the finish in question.

Dan

Attached Files:

10. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    That is the same one. It is an excellent bass, but I am leaning more towards keeping my G&L L2500. Haven't made up my mind yet, but I can't afford to keep 2 basses around when I'm not gigging. Doesn't make sense, although it is unfortunate:)

A couple more pics.
    Dan

Attached Files:

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Interesting. That's not pictured in the manual I have, but I have seen it before.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sent you a PM, Dan.

13. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon