Price Range for '70s Ampeg SVT??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

a friend told me that his church is selling their bass amp, and has asked me if i was interested. i took to him kindly and told him that i was more than happy with what i have. but i offered to stop by and take a look.

course, lo and behold, little did i know that it was a MINT '70s SVT head and matching 2x15 cab in blue grey tolex and vintage salt and pepper grill cloth!! :eek: simply immaculate, save for alot of dust. tubes were still practically NOS, and used maybe twice, cause they said it was WAAY too loud for their main santurary.

at any rate, anyone know of a fair price i should buy it? i dont wanna rip off my friend's church, and yet, i'd still like to get a good price for myself. again, its in terrific condition, and while, i did suggest they put it up on ebay, they wanted to keep things simple. besides, it weighs a ton, and shipping would be a real chore.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA it for the investment alone.
    anyhow, sounds like a PBG question. i know he has a few of those kicking around so he should know how much is right.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Wow, what a find. :eek: It doesn't get much better than that, especially when the seller isn't trying to get top dollar.
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

It's gotta be worth $300. at least!!! ;) Besides, you are getting that big, heavy, old "too loud" relic out of the way for them.
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Oh, check and make sure the ban has the original JBL speakers in it first. :D
  6. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Joker, from what I can recall seeing for sale, $1000-1500
    would be a very good price for an older SVT head alone, especially one that's mint.
    Add a 2x15 cab with good speakers, and no tears, etc, the rig has real value both as a vintage piece of gear and a butt-kicking bass rig.
    If you were to pay $2K for that set-up, I think that would be a very good price for what they bring in that market. I may be low; you might check with Fliptops about it too.

Hey, if they have a Matchless ThunderChief sitting around, let me know!
  7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    No experience with the cab, but I've got a 70's head. Mine was pretty beat and I paid $750 and another $150 to get it working to it's full potential. As I'm only concerned with sound, I'm happy at that price.

From what I've seen on ebay, the one's made in Linden NJ are the most expensive (late 60's.)

Even so, mint adds a *lot* to the value. I'd be surprised if it didn't bring $1,500.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

nah, working overtime's been literally paying off, and if anything, its amazing all these opportunities that have popped up recently. maybe someone up there's telling me to go all tube or something... :smug:
  10. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll say 2500$. 1750 for the head and 750 for the cab.

Vintage + mint + church = lot of $$.

If you think it's expensive, think that God will give you hundred time more !