1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale PRICE REDUCED! 1950s Hofner factory (Knilling labeled) carved upright bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by zootsaxes, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:54 PM.

1. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    Price:
    Strings:
    PRICE REDUCED TO $4500!!

This bass has been professionally checked over and is healthy and in tip top playing condition. Setup with Pirastro Carlos Chorda D/G with Spirocore E/A, a fixed bridge, and a wood element Realist pickup. Even though the action is set relatively low for gut, this bass is LOUD. The fingerboard is even all the way up and thumb position (and beyond!) can be played lightning fast, effortlessly.

The neck is original, but there has been a scroll/pegbox break repair that is clean and well done and there are several professionally repaired cracks on the top around the bridge that have influenced the asking price.

This is a great opportunity to get yourself into a fully carved vintage bass that is still affordable and gig ready.

Local pickup and cash only for this one. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    WillyWonka likes this.
  2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Did you mean to say "Knilling" rather than Hoefner? I realize that providence of factory basses is a little bit incestuous, but the label you photographed makes it a Knilling, unless you have some contrary info.

3. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    I posted it up on the facebook marketplace and some dude who was extremely knowledgeable about the origins and heritage of this bass (he had owned several identical ones and shared lots of pictures) insisted I call a spade a spade and refer to it as a "Hofner factory bass" ... Like you say, it's a stencil bass, so the lines get blurry IMHO. Knilling didn't make it, Hofner did, but yes - it's labeled Knilling and I'm not trying to misrepresent anything (which is why I included the photo of the label). In the saxophone world, the actual maker of the stencil horn is what's important (Conn, Buescher, etc), not what name Sears or whomever decided to label it "Silvertone" or "American Artist" or whatever ... I'm relatively new to bass stuff, so my apologies if I'm not strictly following tb marketplace conventions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 4:38 PM
  4. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    Furthermore, I'm pretty ding dang motivated to sell (love the bass, but need the $$$), so feel free to send me any offers - but no trades.

5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Didn't mean to suggest you were misrepresenting, just clarifying. Thanks for your explanation. My bass has a Karl Hoefner label, which is why I checked yours out. For what it's worth there are some significant differences. I've corresponded with Hoefner about it and they've not been super-informative. There were a few factories that made a lot of these basses and which label ended up on it is, in the end, probably not the most important aspect.

Your bass looks great. Impressed with the amount of ebony on the fingerboard. Would love to check it out with those Chordas if I were closer. Should make a good instrument for someone.

zootsaxes likes this.
  6. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    No worries -- half of the fun of messing around with basses (and talkbass!) is that I don't really know much about them and am actively NOT an authority on any aspect thereof, so I appreciate the input. I'll try to track down dude's rationale he posted on fb
    for describing it as a Hofner. It was Ken (from the Ken's Corner forum?) and he seemed to really (!) know his stuff.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM
  7. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    "
    Ken Smith
    This is a Hofner bass, Karl Hofner is the firm. Many basses sold to other brands but this is Hofner as a make.
    Ken Smith
    So, 3 things that ID a bass for me as made at Hofner are, the ebony strip thru the linings, the shape of the rear emblem and the fake flame in the back of the necks seen on basses that have been left in original state.
    Ken Smith
    Three other features common to all Hofner made basses but not as proflic are, the peg box button that looks more Bohemian than German having come from Bohemia, the rear back button that is tall and beveled and sloe, the tuner plates in chrome with the same Gears but the handles have a few shapes, 'Heart' or club shape..
    Ken Smith
    Also, Knilling is a US Brand, not a person. They import re-label and sell. Just a supplier using an old German name but there was never a Knilling named 'Karl'.
    "

mindwell likes this.
  8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting. Ken definitely knows some stuff, no doubt.

My Hofner does not have the figure on the back that he is referencing and I have seen it on Juzeks. My Hofner label also says "Made in Czechoslovakia", which I have not been able to get Hofner to admit that they ever did. Good info on Knilling.

Sorry to hijack your sale thread. These German shop basses can make really good working instruments and I'm sure that someone will put this one to good use.

9. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    Price reduced to $4500

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021