1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale PRICE REDUCED TO $6,000 - Kolstein Fendt w/ C extension c. 2001

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Scary Peacock, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Scary Peacock

Scary Peacock Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a Kolstein Fendt model bass with C extension, purchased new from Kolstein's shop in 2001. It was played a great deal from 2001 to 2004, but rarely played since then. It is in excellent condition. In anticipation of putting it on the market, last summer I had the neck reset and a crack repaired by Twin Cities luthier John Michael Smith.

Includes original Kolstein padded cover, which isn't in the greatest cosmetic shape but is still effective. It is currently strung with Spiro Weichs, which I put on awhile back on a lark, but with a set of more conventional orchestral strings on there it can really fill up a concert hall.

Details from Kolstein's website:
    • Top table is a two-piece plate of vertical grained spruce
    • Back table is a two-piece plate of slab-cut willow
    • Ribs of matching willow to that of the back table
    • Scroll and neck are original of slightly figured maple
    • Individual brass rococo tuning gears
    • Varnish is reddish brown with amber hues
    • Overall body length: 45 in.
    • Width at the upper bout: 20 1/2 in.
    • Width at the center bout: 15 1/2 in.
    • Width at the lower bout: 27 in.
    • Mensure (string length): 41 5/8 in.
    This instrument was very good to me, but I haven't played seriously in years and I'd like to see it end up in the hands of someone who can use it.

Located in Minneapolis, MN.

Any questions or additional photos needed, please let me know.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Attached Files:

Matt Ides and Zimmy Jazz like this.
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looks like a great bass. Too bad I am not in the market for a serious upgrade.

3. RonRienstra

RonRienstra

Mar 2, 2012
    I'm interested. Can you send me some more photos? Also-- bag/bow included?

4. Scary Peacock

Jun 16, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yes, I'll go ahead and attach some additional photos here in case they're of interest to any others. A couple of these photos try to highlight work that was done by my luthier last summer -- you'll see the seam in the heel and the repaired crack down by the tailpiece. Cosmetically there are just minor scratches here and there -- remnants of the instrument's 3 or so years of heavy but conscientious use. Please let me know if there are any other areas you would like me to photograph.

A bow is not included, but the original blue Kolstein case the bass came with is included. It is somewhat beat up (missing a zipper pull, some stitching on a handle has come undone) but still functional and protective.

Attached Files:

5. Scary Peacock

Jun 16, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bump -- reducing asking price to $6,000.