1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prices of early CD players

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Does anyone remember how much the early CD players cost in the 80's? Or how much you spent on your first?

I just watched an episode of The Goldbergs and they were asking their dad to buy one. It supposedly cost over $900.

I remember the first one my family bought was a 5-disc changer around 1991. But I have no idea what it cost at the time.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I bought an Akai CD Player in 1989 for $400NZ

A Toshibia VCR was $1799NZ in 1983
    The remote control was connected by wire and you couldn't use the pause button due to fears of the tape breaking

Those were the days etc,

rendevouz, Pbassmanca and ElectroVibe like this.
  3. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I'm guessing Philips but I think that was before the Akai

The first bunch of CD's I purchased were Sting, Paul Simon, Kate Bush, Prince, U2, New Order

I'm thinking 1987 but yeah that was like ages ago

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    When computers came out I thought what a pile of poopie
    I think it was ZX-81 it had a tape recorder with it

"These will never catch on"

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I got a 2nd or 3rd generation Sony, mid-'80s...about $400.

IIRC, $900 for the earliest players seems correct.
    How about VHF movies? $100

DiabolusInMusic and ElectroVibe like this.
  6. My dad got our family one around 1989, but it was a full (Onkyo!) System, with double tape deck of course. Speakers etc. No clue what it cost.

But I bought my own component Sony 5 disc in 8th grade (13ish), and it was for sure over 300 bucks even then. Would've been mid 90s by then, so not crazy prices.

Even when we had a CD player and a disc man portable we still made and bought tapes. It was all the dark ages until 20yrs ago.

Pbassmanca and ElectroVibe like this.
  7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I bought my first CD-player around 1989 or 1990. I seem to recall that it cost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3000 NOK which would have been about $500 at the time.

Pbassmanca and ElectroVibe like this.
  8. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Sony CDP-101. I believe it was $900. It came with a Sony Jazz Sampler CD and a mail-in coupon for one more free CD. There were only about 10 titles. I chose Bruce Springsteen Born To Run. I still have those CDs.

Sony Global - Sony Design - History - 1980s

873C66FE-A431-4A9F-A060-C2711F0B990B.
    The world's first compact disc player. Careful consideration of the features led to a design with large buttons for the controls (play, pause, fast-forward, rewind, and so on). By the time the product was finalized, the vertical loading format presented at the prototype stage had been completely overhauled into a horizontal format, which successfully distinguished this unit at launch from competitive models that followed the original format. Over time, successors to the CDP-101 yielded strong sales. Recordings of digital audio signals on compact discs introduced truly revolutionary sound quality at the time, marking the dawn of a new age in digital audio entertainment.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  9. I bought a Technics walkman style CD player in '89 or so for around 350.00 $.

ElectroVibe and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    I picked up a yammy, late eighties — forget the model number. Nothing fancy. Still have it, still works like a charm but it's parked, for the time being — awaiting a service. Must've been around the $500 mark. Really nice gear.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The very first one to market, the Sony CDP-101, was $800 (that's what my brother paid for his the moment they were off the boat in 1983).

The CDP-302 I bought in 1984 was $415, from ABC Appliance in L.A.

12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I didn't start using them until 88, and not heavily until later.
    My Dad had one around 85 86. We was a home audio guy. We had a VHS around 82 83. I don't know what he spent on the CD player. Disks were between $15 and $20, which was a little more then. Tapes were like $10

13. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Mine was 400 in ‘83

14. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    IIRC, we had a Magnavox stereo system or something like that in 90 or 91. Around that time, I think I also got a Discman for Xmas. Game changer. The Discman + Sony closed ear headphones and my childhood took a hard left. Big upgrade from my Walkman and I probably tripled the amount of time I spent listening to music.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I can't remember which one I had, but I bought my first CD player in 1983.
    It cost me around $250. But I bought it in Japan.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  16. In 1989, I bought a Yamaha CDX-P7 'walkman' style portable cd player. Around $250.

It still works and I use it in my garage system.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  17. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I remember my sister bought a Nakamichi tape deck in the 80's for 600$

Low84, Chad Michael and murphy like this.
  18. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Yep, that's about right. I sold several of them when I was working at Federated Group in El Lay.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    See those stairs next to the refrigerator? We put my SO's first generation Walkman (cassette) under them when we did the gut renovation in 2013, for some future home owner to discover! They'll probably say "What the **** is this thing?!?!?!?"

1200_MG_2124.

20. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I think I got mine at Pacific Stereo.