Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

prices seem unbearable

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j b scott, May 4, 2003.

1. I live in melbourne australia, and you think that i could get some bass strings without going into debt, but it seems that the deal round here is you pay more than $100 dollars for bass strings.

i went to several local shops, and its all the same. a 5 string set of d'addario slowounds cost $110, and if you want a gauge other than soft, its $115, and if you want them super long, $120.
    If you want to have special 'exp' coating $150.

There are some GHS and some Rotosound for $70-80, but thats as low as it goes. and i cant stand GHS

And if you want T.I.s, DRs, Labellas, you have to have them ordered or go into the city, that is after you have sold all you clothes and your amp, to have enough to pay for them and the petrol and the toll you have to pay to drive in.

This is a rather pointless insane rant i realize, but guitarists pay like $10 TOPS for strings!!

and all i want is to experiment with some strings to find out which ones i like, this is going to drive me to be a criminal or something.

oh well have a nice day
    :meh:

2. thats crazy....over here in iowa (thats in the USA) you can get bass strings for only 15 bucks. I use d'addarios, there about 23. thats a rip

- w00t

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Even with the exchange rate, a $100 set of strings is about $60 American. That really sucks. :(

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Somebody must be making a bucket of money on this. www.juststrings.com ships internationally. They charge kind of a lot for it, but if you maybe get together with some other people to make a string order, it seems like you might be able to save some money. They have a shipping page that gives their rates.

5. JB,
    That is a national OUTRAGE! Listen, you tell me what you're looking for and maybe we can all work together here to get you some strings! I mean, c'mon.........$100 bucks??!! What's the exchange rate, 2 to 1? So, we buy them for like $20, ship them for what, $10? seems to me we could save you like $50. I may be talking out my nether region but I'd like to try to help out, seeing as the good old boys from Down Under were right there with us Yanks over in Iraq. (Unlike our other so-called friends.) You've got Paypal right? Let's get it done!

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If there are lots of bass players in the same situation, maybe you could all pitch in for an order from the states, and split the shipping. Or, it could be an opportunity for you to go into business. Buy them in bulk and sell them at a profit.

jd

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I ship Thomastic-Infeld & Rotosounds down under for $10 flat for Airmail.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Strings are pretty expensive in the UK as well - D'Addario Slowounds are my favourites, but I can remember paying £46 for a set from the Bass centre - which is a lot of money.

However, for the last 3-4 years I have bought these online from :

www.sheetmusicplus.com

And even allowing for shipping costs, they only end up costing me £20 !! So that's less than half price!!

The solution is obvious - never buy strings from local stores -just get them off the net!! :)

9. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Order from the Dude. He's totally fair with shipping costs.

And be happy that you're not a cellist or upright bassist...

10. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Right on. I hadn't realized that Steve ships internationally. If you order from him, you'll probably get better strings (he sells the full TI and Rotosound lines) for way less money than buying locally. TI's must be like $800 a set down there. No wonder I've been hearing Aussies refer to the "Australian Peso" lately. :(

11. Bruce Lindfield

I bought TIs direct from the company website - they're based in Vienna - at a fairly reasonable price.

But I didn't like the tone as much as Slowounds.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I suppose if the exchange rates are very unfavourable then what seems like a good price to those of you in the US, could end up being very expensive to someone in Australia - but I think it will always be best to buy mail order.

The original poster seeemd to be interested in D'Addario Slowounds - so I gave details of my experience buying these via the web.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Ermmm ...not sure what you mean there....I played my NS EUB last night at the Brighton Jazz Co-op in a local pub!

Now those strings are expensive - Pirastro Double Bass strings!!

:meh:

14. Bruce Lindfield

So....that's not what you meant by 'the Stick'...:meh: ??

:D

15. Hey.....this thread got pretty funny!(stands by munching popcorn..........)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Eh - where did this come from!!?? :confused:

Where have I given you or anybody a "bunch of crap" in this thread - I just can't believe it! Feel free to quote any of my posts with the evidence - but where does explaining, what I've done in the past equate with this? :confused:

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    LOL...chill Bruce...must be me as usual with you ok? My fault...so sorry kimosabe!

18. Bruce Lindfield

OK I was just replying to Flatwound's post where he said :

So I was saying that they weren't that expensive even if you buy them from the company here - but of course if the Australian currency is doing very badly at the moment, then things will seem expensive in Australia, which don't to the rest of us in the UK or US.

[PS - everybody I play with, calls my NS bass 'the Stick' ;) ]

19. Bruce Lindfield

20. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hopefully a bit of hyperbole on my part. Didn't mean to cause trouble. ;)