1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pricey rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joebeadg, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:08 PM.

1. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    So, expensive, fancy rigs, we all love them. I don't have one, but do drool over them. LOL I have what I think is a nice rig, though older and heavy, all Hartke. Hey! Its what I could afford. So, these new expensive, sexy looking rigs,I don't think we need them. I say Jack Bruce, Stu Ham, and many others playing through Hartke and other run of the mill hardeware, and sounded great! Hell, at sam ash in huntington, long island, stu play a Hartke transporter bottom I think they called them, not even XL. I see bar bands all the time with ampeg, fender, stc, sound great. I'm thinking about upgrading to new lighter weight equipment, and as tempting as those "greatedt" rigs are, I am thinking maybe not.Truthfully, my money would be better spent on lessons. LOL I am not putting down those amps to be clear! They are so cool!

bordinco90 and BOOG like this.
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm no slave to fashion. My latest hot thing is a Peavey Headliner 112 cab that I bought used for $150. I'm thinking of getting rid of all my other various 12 and 15 cabs and buying two more of these. Used that would give me a 312 stack costing me a total of $450. There are 112 cabs out there that cost $800 for just one cab. I'm sure they're great, but are they $800 great? I'm not so sure.

3. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    can u even use three cabs though? Won't the ohms b too low? But yea, I here what ur sayin

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I can. My amp is a dual mono block amp. It has two separate amps, each of which can do 300w at 8 Ohms, 450w at 4 Ohms, and 750 at 2 Ohms. I can use all three 8 Ohm cabs on one side, for ...I think around 600w at 2.7 Ohms. Or I can use two on one side for 450w split between 2 cabs, 225 each, and the third cab on the other amp at 300w.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hartke makes good solid stuff at a decent price, and Larry Hartke is a terrific guy whom I like very much. You are correct that your money would be best spent on lessons if you already have a rig that you like. And I'm down with cheap gear that sounds good. Makes me feel like I'm getting over on the man :D And sometimes I use a cheap little Ampeg combo on my gigs, and it works just fine and sounds as good as I play. But then I have a couple very high end Ampeg tube amp rigs as well, and there's no question that they sound considerably better than the combo. But due to possible inclement weather or difficult schleps, it's nice to have a decent sounding knockaround small amp you can use and not worry too much if it gets rained on.

But you have nothing to be embarrassed about using Hartke. It's been an industry leader since the 80's and a lot of great bassists use it. Just play with as much heart and skill as you can give, and everything will be cool.

Scott's amp can take three or four 8 ohm cabs. Your Hartke probably can't. I think a couple of the more high power Hartkes with two separate power amps built in them can, but most of them have a 4 ohm limit. No big whoop. It's certainly not a commentary on build quality if that's what you're worried about.

6. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    There is a lot of high end expensive gear out there but the law of diminishing returns applies. In other words past a certain point you need to spend a lot more money to get a small difference.

Whilst we can hear the difference the question is whether or not you really need it. Hartke I have used from time to time and I've always been happy with the resulting sound.

In a practical sense, if you're happy with what you are using that's all that matters. I have a couple of nice amps but for convenience I use a Roland Cube as a stage monitor. It sounds good and serves the purpose when I don't need a lot of power.

matthewbrown and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Expensive rigs don't interest me. My criteria is gear has to sound good and I have to be able to lift each item with ease. At that point Ill start looking at price. If anyone thinks they sound their best through Hartke then that's what they should buy. My current choices are in my sig below.

My amps currently can run 2 ohms, 2.67 ohms and 4 ohms. Good gear also has to be flexible so I'm mostly running multiples of 8 ohm 112 cabs. I'll run 3 cabs in my loud bands if that's what it takes.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Expensive is subjective. Sure, some may think me crazy for dropping over a grand on my F115 cab, but it punches way above its weight, and was actually much more cost effective than purchasing two traditional cabs of similar quality offering comprable performance.

9. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Pricey...

Interesting.

What is considered pricey?

I remember the story about John Entwistle.

Ask a tech to build him the ultimate bass amp. When he finished and had John come check it out John said, it’s fantastic! Now cut it in half.

I consider my rig pricey.

Gallien Krueger MB-800 fusion. Before they disappeared they were fetching $1k. My cabs were $300 each and I replaced all the drivers for $100 each. So $800 there.

Plus and additional 410 4 ohm cab for $550.

Do we consider the cost of our instruments?

$1600 each. I have two of those.

Add it all up and we got around $6k ish.

And I can play stadiums.

10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Exactly. Some boutique cabs can easily perform as well as 2 lower priced cabs. I'm definitely in the "one lightweight cab, one lightweight head" camp, so maximizing those 2 components requires spending a bit of money.

DJ Bebop, Low Down Brown and Kro like this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

IMG_20191005_203249686.
    Mesa. 999 head, 799 cab whole rig @60 lbs $1800 total. 2 ohm stable. Can run 4 x 8ohm cabs.
    This single 15 , 98.5 db sensitivity, 125db max output .
    400watts into single 8ihm cab, sounds Fanfreaking tastic.

Pricey? Relative. The bass pictured cost 3 times more.

I got a good sound that I liked out of a few less costly rigs over the years.
    Fender rumble 500. GK MB 500.
    Tce RH450. Behringer ... Heck even gigged a Rumble 100 combo recently.
    Is the price differential "worth it" ?
    Beyond a doubt. One trip Carry, high SPL, High Fidelity, compact size.
    Can I hear the difference? You betcha. Does the audience notice? Debatable.

Gear snob I'm not.

In the bag is one of my favorite basses, a Squier Vintage Modified Precision 5.
    (Sub 300$ bass)
    I hate spending money, the gigs pay for it. 6 months of gig coin and it's paid for.
    Worth it? Yes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    BOOG, imabuddha, MAXSPINRUN and 7 others like this.
  12. Not sure what your point is. Looking through the new Sweetwater catalog, most of the amps with similar "stats" are priced about the same. Obviously one can spend a great deal on anything but if you are satisfied with what you have what's the issue? Nothing wrong with Hartke gear at all. The guys you mentioned have (had) endorsement deals with Hartke but they did not need to use the gear if they didn't like it.

Most of the larger manufacturers offer amps at different price points. The higher end stuff DOES perform better as a rule. It's not just "fashion". Use whatever you like and can afford because only you have to care.

DJ Bebop, smogg, Gearhead17 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    3B7E119C-1C64-4E34-B19F-AF8CEF0551BE. 5F26E3F2-2368-4133-B12F-B58A4C4D1AF0. 59113621-8C37-41E3-82B5-A748ECC8DDA1. I consider myself spoiled because I have these rigs, but I bought my gear used, for example I paid 1000.00 total for the Mesa cabs!

14. leavetheconnoli

leavetheconnoli Supporting Member

May 21, 2017
    New York
    So we put in countless hours of practice, devotion and sacrifice then we plug into poopie?? Lolol. Nope.

Im no gear snob but I don’t compromise on tone. We need the right tools.

yes my Barefaced twin is very expensive. Or is it?
    I cover every gig imaginable with this lightweight, rugged and incredible sounding cab. At least up to 1600 watts :)
    I go thru heads and flip them till I find my sound. Lately im more ebs/ gk.

While my main bass is a Sadowsky, one of my other mains is a player series Precision,, modded but still.

I’ll show up typically depending on which bass i take, with $4-8k worth of gear. And then I plug in ......... : -)

DJ Bebop, red_rhino and Breeze3 like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2. :thumbsup:

cool beans! which stadiums are on your itinerary? :D

i haven't played stadiums since the 70s: back then: big rigs were expected --- but they were :poop: compared to today's small-form stuff. the 21st century wins this one!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:14 AM
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Play what you like. If it sounds good to you, it sounds good to you. The only reason I got a new rig after playing what I had for over a decade (and had bought used) was because I was tired of lugging around 150+ pounds at 2am.

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

This all sounds like you are heading for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" aka GAS! Sure, it all starts with "what's wrong with my stuff". Then in your words, "Those expensive sexy looking rigs".

Pleasant Journey, my friend!!

DJ Bebop and smogg like this.
  18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Wait, what? I thought my expensive gear was supposed to make up for the fact that I hardly ever practice... :p

rok51, imabuddha, Iristone and 6 others like this.
  19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I figure as long as I can hear it and I can get a good DI out to the FOH I can live with it... but just to be safe I figured I'd just cover the logo on my run of the mill rig with something more upscale...

I now play through a Porsche Head and an Aston Martin Speaker cabinet. ;)

Maybe one day I'll finally upgrade to a Bentley and a Lambo.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM
  20. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    For years I had always played through what I would call more budget brands...SansAmp into a monitor or through a carvin back in the day, or in more recent years Fender Rumble stuff. I was overall happy with my tone and never thought much about amplification. That is until i saved, got older, and could finally afford to try higher end gear....I moved from Fender Rumble to GK, than GK to Mesa and couldn't be happier with my sound. Don't get me wrong, Fender did a great job with the Rumbles, solid old school tone, reliable and very affordable, a great option for the weekend warrior. That being said, its not really in the same league or product class as Mesa, and not fair to compare one vs the other. I have a handful of options now and will normally use what the gig or situation calls for....which could be anything from a ToneHammer DI into a QSC monitor for a duo gig, all the way up to the Mesa.