1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

priciest bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGrowl, Aug 3, 2001.

1. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    I believe the priciest bass I've ever see was this $3,500 warwick streamer, i didnt check out the details on it but im sure it must have been a heck of a streamer. Whats the priciest bass you guys have ever seen?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

In person? Humm.... Probably either a Warwick Dolphin Pro 5, Streamer Stage I 6 or Pedulla Hexabuzz in solid AAAAA quilt maple. And an Alembic Elan with Simms LED's.

On the net? I've seen some $25,000 Alembics and Warriors.

3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Well, I have seen one of them Ibanez Steve Vai guitars, with diamond inlays and some of his actual blood used in the finsh for £10,000.

Haven't seen any basses that cost more then the warwick, but I know custom basses with rare woods would set you back alot of money.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A B.C. Rich used by Derek Smalls was bein' auctioned
    on eBay a while back. Reserve == $40K.

In person?...I'll get back to ya' in November :D .

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I once touched a $15,000 Alembic series II with a tree of Life inlay. The Hardware was 24K gold plated brass. Ron Wickersham was there and I asked him "do people actually play basses like this?" He said "yeah, some do." Ron is a really nice, mellow guy.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    IN person? i've seen $3000 basses. I saw a fodera bass once... it was like $6000.. i didn't play it but it was being played on stage. I have also seen the B.C rich bass on ebay that went for $40k.. Was it for the Spinal Tap movie??? oh well

7. The most expensive ones I saw was on the net, it's an Alembic and around $25,000. In person, it would be a Fodera and it cost about $6000.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I went to this little shop in Tokyo and it was filled with Fodera's and vintage Fenders and other expensive basses. I think the most expensive one there was a Fodera Anthony Jackson 6 that they were asking $8000 for.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention the Carl Thompson basses that I saw in a store in Fukuoka. They looked real nice, but I was too afraid to play them.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've touched a lot of pre-cbs stuff, but those weren't for sale. All of the pre-cbs stuff at stores are usually behind glass or something. I've seen price tags over $7k on those. I've seen alembics on ebay that have $20k+ reserve. i've seen some damm expensive uprights. Oh yea, i once played a viola that the owner claimed it was made in the late 1400's or 1500's. It was quite a bit different. I have no idea how much that would be. If you were looking for the most expensive bass in the world it would probably be a double bass.

10. status basses go for 5g's even on sale.

11. i've played on a used Fodera emperor elite 5-stringer once.. i loved it.. until i saw the price-tag, which was $4950

12. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I think Gene Simmons' bass was valued at $19,000. I heard a rumour that Jason Newsted bought it.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    in person i have seen
    a fender jazz pre cbs jazz model in black with matching headstock at 5800$

14. The most expensive basses I've seen and played were Warrior at the Dallas Guitar Show this year. They had several on display at >$6000 and a couple at around $10000.

15. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Rex Browns USA 5-string Black Stain neckthrough
    in real life.

My teachers 200 year old double bass, over 25,000 and I played it :D. In reallife

As for seeing I'm not sure a warrior? or JT's basses.

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Every time I go in my basement I see two of the priciest basses I've ever seen. The one on the left and the one on the right. (The one in the middle was a steal).:D

When ever I go into Huber & Breese they have any number of Ken Smith basses that are actually pricier than my Alembics. Currently they have two 6 string BTR EGs at over $6,000 and a 5 string at @ $5,200.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I never knew tehre were Steve Vai Basses :eek:

JK

DM :D

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    oh yeah.. do URBs count? I've seen some great Upright Basses go for $100,000+ (Those ones that are from like 1600's)

DM:D

19. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    There isn't. I was just saying that that is the most expensive guitar I have seen, plus the intresting fact that some of his own blood was used in the finsh. My local guitar shops don't even stock American Fender Basses, so I have yet to see a really expensive bass :( .

20. The most expensive basses I've ever played are a Warwick Thumb NT4 and a Taylor ABG, both about 3k. I've been in the same store as a bunch of Foderas and such, but I didn't look at the prices.