priciest bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGrowl, Aug 3, 2001.

1. BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    I believe the priciest bass I've ever see was this $3,500 warwick streamer, i didnt check out the details on it but im sure it must have been a heck of a streamer. Whats the priciest bass you guys have ever seen?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In person? Humm.... Probably either a Warwick Dolphin Pro 5, Streamer Stage I 6 or Pedulla Hexabuzz in solid AAAAA quilt maple. And an Alembic Elan with Simms LED's.

On the net? I've seen some $25,000 Alembics and Warriors.
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Well, I have seen one of them Ibanez Steve Vai guitars, with diamond inlays and some of his actual blood used in the finsh for £10,000.

Haven't seen any basses that cost more then the warwick, but I know custom basses with rare woods would set you back alot of money.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A B.C. Rich used by Derek Smalls was bein' auctioned
    on eBay a while back. Reserve == $40K.

In person?...I'll get back to ya' in November :D .
  5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I once touched a $15,000 Alembic series II with a tree of Life inlay. The Hardware was 24K gold plated brass. Ron Wickersham was there and I asked him "do people actually play basses like this?" He said "yeah, some do." Ron is a really nice, mellow guy.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    IN person? i've seen $3000 basses. I saw a fodera bass once... it was like $6000.. i didn't play it but it was being played on stage. I have also seen the B.C rich bass on ebay that went for $40k.. Was it for the Spinal Tap movie??? oh well
  7. The most expensive ones I saw was on the net, it's an Alembic and around $25,000. In person, it would be a Fodera and it cost about $6000.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I went to this little shop in Tokyo and it was filled with Fodera's and vintage Fenders and other expensive basses. I think the most expensive one there was a Fodera Anthony Jackson 6 that they were asking $8000 for.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention the Carl Thompson basses that I saw in a store in Fukuoka. They looked real nice, but I was too afraid to play them.
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've touched a lot of pre-cbs stuff, but those weren't for sale. All of the pre-cbs stuff at stores are usually behind glass or something. I've seen price tags over $7k on those. I've seen alembics on ebay that have $20k+ reserve. i've seen some damm expensive uprights. Oh yea, i once played a viola that the owner claimed it was made in the late 1400's or 1500's. It was quite a bit different. I have no idea how much that would be. If you were looking for the most expensive bass in the world it would probably be a double bass.
  10. status basses go for 5g's even on sale.
  11. i've played on a used Fodera emperor elite 5-stringer once.. i loved it.. until i saw the price-tag, which was $4950
  12. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I think Gene Simmons' bass was valued at $19,000. I heard a rumour that Jason Newsted bought it.
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    in person i have seen
    a fender jazz pre cbs jazz model in black with matching headstock at 5800$
  14. The most expensive basses I've seen and played were Warrior at the Dallas Guitar Show this year. They had several on display at >$6000 and a couple at around $10000.
  15. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Rex Browns USA 5-string Black Stain neckthrough
    in real life.

My teachers 200 year old double bass, over 25,000 and I played it :D. In reallife

As for seeing I'm not sure a warrior? or JT's basses.
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Every time I go in my basement I see two of the priciest basses I've ever seen. The one on the left and the one on the right. (The one in the middle was a steal).:D

When ever I go into Huber & Breese they have any number of Ken Smith basses that are actually pricier than my Alembics. Currently they have two 6 string BTR EGs at over $6,000 and a 5 string at @ $5,200.
  17. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I never knew tehre were Steve Vai Basses :eek:

DM :D
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    oh yeah.. do URBs count? I've seen some great Upright Basses go for $100,000+ (Those ones that are from like 1600's)

19. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    There isn't. I was just saying that that is the most expensive guitar I have seen, plus the intresting fact that some of his own blood was used in the finsh. My local guitar shops don't even stock American Fender Basses, so I have yet to see a really expensive bass :( .
  20. The most expensive basses I've ever played are a Warwick Thumb NT4 and a Taylor ABG, both about 3k. I've been in the same store as a bunch of Foderas and such, but I didn't look at the prices.