1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pricing a usa jazz bass refinished

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Apr 9, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Well i saw this bass and was wondering how much i should offer? I know how much it is new but when a bass gets chips its devalued but whats it worth when there is no paint. To me i think it would be cool to own cuz i could repaint and not care . I just dont wnat to offend the owner and lowball him. I have never owned an american bass and it looks like a cheap way to afford one.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/1114062511.html

2. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    The removal and repainting will devalue it more. It's claimed to be American with the S1 switch... Get the serial number prior and check it out at www.fendermusicalinstruments.com to verify age and build location...
    Best of luck and of course, you can always find a nice bass that you can trust right here on talkbass!!!

3. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    That bass calls to me... but then again.. I love the look of natural wood on a fender.
    I wouldn't worry about offending this person. If your going to make an offer, think about what you would want to pay for it and make the offer. I personally am not looking for that particular bass but would buy it if it was 500.00. :)
    I paid 514.00 for my 1998 American P at Guitar Center (brand new). Still got the receipt to prove it. If I was really interested in that particular bass, I would throw 650 at him.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Probably $400-$500 if it's all straight, and just a refin.

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Thanks guys nice to get some answers:) yes i feel its worth 500-600 i was going to start at 500$ and see what he says. I would probably use it for testing finshing on it but then again i like its looks right now.

6. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Natural wood with tortoise shell is slammin!

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree, natural / tortoise is a great combo !

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I just sold a '98 very similar but 100% factory for $970... For this guy, refin I wouldn't pay more than $400. That's me.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Am agreeing with the $500 price range.

10. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Well he hasnt got back to me. I offered a completely modded nothing stock MIM p in electron blue for it in mint shape with a hardsell fender case for it or asked how much he would sell for in cash as i know the MIM may not sound appealing. Anways what year did they start using graphite necks on USA basses?

I just want it cuz i know i can get it alot cheaper for a mod i actually favor .

I am surprised no body got mad at posting a what is it worth kinda thread lol

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I think the rule is more like:

"Hey, I have this 1989 Mothman Bass, comes with Whore shell case, and small lingerie."

Thats something like what you would be in trouble for.

P.S.- I really, really hope someone catches on with the Mothman thing.

12. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!