pricing for mesa/boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kidvsking, Feb 15, 2003.

1. is it worth $800 dollars in good condition?
  2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Yes, but you must allow $200. for a re tube. Most 400+ owners replace the tubes with Svetlanas or JJs. You don't have to as the tubes in it are likeky OK. But Mesa usually uses Chinese 6L6s or russian 5885/6L6 (Sovtek). The Chinese tubes have a bad reputation....The Russian 5881s have a very cardboad like sound.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I sold a ten year old 400+ in great shape two weeks ago for $811 on EBay. Before the auction I briefly listed it here and a moron (who shall remain nameless) immediately posted a whine on my ad that he could buy two something or others for that price. It's apparently not widely known everywhere but the market value of a used 400+ is about 8.

As Rockbobby said, they're worth it. In fact, that's about the going rate. You'll pay full list ($1299) for a new one and used ones go for 8 bills all the time. Depending on tube age and hours, however, you may or may not need to re-tube.
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

And I may add that if you were to buy a new one and did not like the tubes, You may end up re tubing anyway. And what makes that worse, it will void the warranty unless you buy Mesa/Svetlana STR 454 tubes. Prolly $250+!!
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, that's right, amigo. The curse/blessing of "valves."
  6. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy

Jan 26, 2003
    Bought mine new and LOVE IT!!! Sounds like a good price. I wish I could've found one used. A Bonus...I've heard that Boogie's Customer Service is top notch no matter if you buy new or used. Compare that to some of the other companies producing valve amps.
  7. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I recently found one used in good condition for ..... you sitting down: $500.

I would have jumped on it but my college tuition on my credit card told me not to. Damn!