1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pricing for route work

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Boom762, May 2, 2015.

1. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    I just bought a passive bass with an active tone control. I'm probably going to take those parts out and swap them with 2 EMG 40dc and a EMG BQC control. From what I was reading, this runs or at least CAN run on 18v. The bass I bought only has a small, tightly packed control area so I'm going to need route work done and I don't have the tools or the skilled hands to do this.

What cost am I looking at to have someone route out a section to fit an 2x9v box generally. I realize prices very from location and reputation of services but I need just a ballpark quote.

Is this generally possible without ruining the overall paint job?

2. Not being sure of shop prices in your area...here's my story on a similar question.

A little over a year ago I wanted to make a PJ out of a regular P Bass, and needed just a J pickup space routed.

The local GC tech said $100.00, and wouldn't guarantee his work.

So, I bought a cheap router, practiced on a few spare pieces first, and this was the result...

IMG_20140420_170432_715_zps9epysnlv.

So yes, the finish can remain unharmed with a good sharp router bit, and a decent hand.

I decided that the money was better spent on tools, and that was about half of what the GC tech would have charged.

Then, my next routing job was free...as will be the next...

Good luck,

Shane

Bass'd In Colorado and Boom762 like this.
  3. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    I took an old first act bass and practiced taking everything apart and changing things, filing the nut, etc. I learned I don't have a good hand. I would be afraid Id bark it up for good. Especially on making the hole going from the pickup to the control. I have a neighbor chick that works on wood sometimes in her garage. I think shes making birdhouses or something though. I might could get her to do it for cheap but I would be guaranteed she would work well with a guitar.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Recommendation - easy on the coffee the first time trying body routing! ;)

5. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    One important thing to do when routing through a hard finish is to scribe a line around the perimeter of where the rout is to be as this will help prevent the finish from chipping. I'd also go through the finish in a couple passes just to be extra safe about it. Other than that it's a pretty straight forward job, however there is always a risk no matter how careful one is of chipping the finish and imo any good repair person will bring this to your attention prior to doing the job.
    Also $100 or so sounds pretty reasonable sans install.

Boom762 likes this.