Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pricing question for a 1968 Fender P-Bass

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Poparad, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Poparad

Poparad

Jan 18, 2002
    What would be an estimated value of a Fender P-Bass circa 1968? It's in very good condition, only a few minor dents that come with being used for many years. All these are only visable on close inspection. The only thing new on it are the strings.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This thread really belongs out in the bass section rather than the "for sale" area.

The value depends on several things. What color is it? Are you sure it's all original? What factors indicate that it is a '68? Does it come with the original case? Are you buying or selling?

The most common color was sunburst so those usually are not in the same price category as what alot of shops call "custom" colors. The custom colors would be anything other than black or Olympic white. If it is a custom color is the headstock the same color?

Prices can run anywhere from $900 to $2300. Precision basses just don't command the same prices as a Jazz bass from that era.

I have a '72 that I use alot and I'm looking to make a trade for an earlier 60's P bass for my Lakland D55.

3. Poparad

Poparad

Jan 18, 2002
    I apologize for the OT post then, I almost posted it there but didn't for that particular reason. The situation is kind of both, one of my friends is selling, and another wants to buy it.

Color: Blonde with black pickgaurd, maple fretboard. Headstock matches.

I am sure the parts are all origonal. My friend purchased the bass himself in '68 (might even have the reciept). The origonal case is in tact, although it's had a beating over the years. The springs don't work on the latches and there are a lot of scratches on the tolex, but it still functions as a case and still has the 'Fender' logo on one side.