Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prime PBA-20 any good as a practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aahlookout, Dec 14, 2004.

1. aahlookout

aahlookout

Nov 26, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Hello all.

I'm planning to pick up a small practice amp that I can pop on a bus and port about places. Right now I'm renting a Yorkville XM50, which is fairly small but it's too heavy for me to carry any distances (I put it on a luggage cart) so I have to drive it around the city, which I'd prefer to avoid.

I did a little reading here and saw good things about the Peavey Microbass and the Ibanez SW-35, so I figured I'd look into those after Xmas.

I know I'll need to get a bigger amp for "real" playing, but I could rent that as needed. My band currently practices at our drummer's house, fairly quietly, so I expect I can use a small amp and still be heard. Right now what's important to me is to have a lightweight amp that has as good a sound as I can get from a small box.

I just spotted an ad for a used Prime PBA20, and it'd probably be pretty cheap, thus leaving me money to buy a big amp when I need one. But I could only find one review of it, and very few of Prime in general. Can anyone tell me if it's worth looking into this amp, or is it actually some kind of no-name generic knock-off of the good stuff?

Thanks!

Kirsten