Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Primus, distortion question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Hi, I am wondering what kind of distortion (or what could get the same sound of distortion) Les Claypool is using on the intro to NIB with Ozzy.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've heard that Claypool uses a ProCo Rat, as well as MXR Bass DI box. Live, he's using a Bass POD from what I've read in Bass Player magazine.

But just for NIB, I can get close to that tone with my Digitech Bass Driver set on a nice uber-fuzzed setting. A Muff would get the job done too.

3. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i just listened to that a few minutes ago and it sounds like hes using some sort of octave effect with the distortion.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hmmmm lots of different ideas about distortion. Last I knew, he USED to play a ProCo RAT, and currently uses a Line 6 DM4. For that song, he has a bit of envelope filter going on.

5. haven't heard it, but just FYI he used to use a Systech Harmonic Energizer. I guess it's kinda like a graphic fuzz, or a static wah feeding a fuzz kind of sound.