Primus - I think I'm getting old......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My drummer's girlfriend had to work tonight, so he took me instead as his date to see primus. :D He was a wonderful date but I didn't invite him in when he dropped me off.

I titled this thread as I did because 10 minutes into their set I realized I was squashed in the center of what seemed like thousands of people, in a thick smog of pot and cigarette smoke, unable to see a blessed thing, and wished as much as I wish for a bongo bass that I was simply at home in my comfy apartment.

I actually got high for the first time in over 20 yrs from the people smoking next to and behind me - and it loosened me up. Musta been really good pot too because I didn't get the least bit paranoid. I stayed the duration of the concert, and while I was never a huge primus fan - I must admit that they were one of the best bands i ever saw live, and claypool inspired me to no end. If I didn't have to get up for work tomorrow I'd be playing my bass all night.

I LOVE how he really utilizes the percussivness of the instrument, and pushes the bass to it's absolute limits. Only 3 guys on stage and that place was filled with more great music than I've heard come out of an entire orchestras. Alrite, maybe not orchestras, but you get the idea. I'm a new fan, gonna start diving into my primus cds, borrow vids from a friend, rob some of his riffs.

And no, I didn't kiss my drummer goodnight.
  2. Will you start smoking again, too? :p
  3. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I never liked Primus until about last week, I put Sailing the Seas of Cheese in and it sounded a lot better than it did three months ago. Good to hear, Les is more!
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Awsome man, THEY are all amazing, Les is insane!! Make sure to download the show too!!
  5. Stephen found all the songs from our show on some website, but crappy quality IMO. I think I'm going to order the recordings off of the sound board from the website.

I listened to Primus a lot before I saw them live, but after I saw them I was just sooo inspired to play bass even better. The show was that great. Since it I've been practicing harder and listening to Primus most of the time.

Glad you enjoyed the show Joe.

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I didn't get the songs off of Kazaa (lite;)) man. I got them off of some website, if you want it e-mail me or post. But it was in FLAC, so I just converted it to WAV afterwords. The quality is really good, but it can't be as good as direct from the soundboard though. It's really good for free though :p. It kind of sounds like it has a flat EQ over it or something. I'll download it soon from the .
    Primus sucks!
  7. I went to see Primus last weekend, I have to say its amazing to see how les plays bass live, you don't seem to get the same effect from watching vids or listening to it. me and my friend are going to buy the recording of the concert when it becomes available.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I really wanted to see them!!!! I didn't find out about the show until the Monday after. :(

9. Double ::D
  10. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I used to smoke pot but I had to quit for legal issues =). I went to a tool concert and some guy passed me a joint...why the hell not. Man that was a great concert...;)
  11. Another reason why TOOL rules! :D