Primus-Laquer Head

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by motherfunker, Aug 22, 2002.

1. motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    This is my favorite Primus song. I read how to play it on one site, but it was too vague and i couldn't understand how to do it. Is there any method that matches the "double-thumbing" Les uses???
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I havent heard of any other effective methode. You could try doing a search here, at TalkBass. It has been talked about several times before.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I asked about this way, way, back because that brief solo break that Claypool takes (some kind of slap + triplets?) thing just bugged my eyes out of my head when I recorded a video of it being played live.

Everyone who responded was like - "He just does that to make you sick."
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    It does make me sick when i see him play, its scary!!

I saw their film clip for this song the day u posted this up, and that little solo bit has a camera angle of him doing this. The day later i downloaded this clip, and my video card had trouble keeping up with the speed, it was distorted.

Anyway back on topic, the tabs for that song are dodgey, but i suppose they are a good foundation to go from.
  5. Is les really known for double thumbing? i dont think so. The way i get parts of laquer head is by muting with my left 1st finger all the strings while hammering on with my 2nd and 3rd and plucking the muted g string while slapping the muted E, and you say your confused?
  6. Lacquerhead

Aug 24, 2002
    Les Claypool does not double thump on Laquerhead, he uses LHS along with Slap and Pop. LHS is Left Hand Slap, I learned how to do it out of the bass technique book by Berklee.

Email me if you need help with LHS.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    This man speaks the truth, it's actually pretty easy.

Hit the open E-string, do a left-hand-hammer-on on the low A, slap the low A (muted), pop the muted A on the D string, use left-hand-hammer on on the low A, slap low A (muted).

In short: S, LH, S, P, LH, S. I figured out how to do it myself, after learning about left-hand-hammer-ons.

By the way, could someone please direct me to a thread where double-thumbing is explained? Thanks in advance!
  8. For a incredibly helpful bit on explaining the Left hand Slap thing he does on that little fill, check out this site and look at the video section explaining "Mark King Style Triplets" Its very very simplistic, and you'll understand that little fill within a day or two and be able to play it most likely.
  9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I figured this out accidentally and I'll try to pu it as simply as possible (not the song, but the techinque):

1) Thump the E
    2) mute all strings with your left hand
    3) pop the g
    4) mute all the strings with your left hand
    5) repeat

What helped was going really slow, then just gradually increasing in speed, over and over again. Think like: one and TWO and three and FOUR and....

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of how it's done.
  10. mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    It's a simple standard mute of slap and pops he does i learned it on my own a year ago or so it shoul'dnt be that hard to figure out. The guy that posted before i think was correct about the technique.
  11. oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I also think he uses LHS but what is really bugging me is that really fast tripletly part he does. It sounds like the strings are muted and are doble thumbing. i will try to find the video on Kazza have a look. Does anyone else have any insight on how to do it cause it would be a big help.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I watched that video. His right hand is flying around too much to effectively use the double thump technique. LHS all the way baby.
  13. oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Ok Ill have a look and see what i can come up with.
    It would be a big help if you could tell me which frets his playing around. i cant find the video on kazza also.

Cool hear from you soon.
  14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Here's the words of wisdom from the tab, and it's the technique I've always used to play Laquerhead.

Here is how Matt Walker ( describes it:

Ok, I have been looking at the tab that people keep saying is right and I think it's not too far off, after watching the Family Values show a countless number of times and listening to this song, this tab is almost exact. Les uses a little less treble on this than normal, makes the sound a little meatier.

The technique is a little unusual. Bar the G and D with your index finger at the 2nd fret, reach around back with your thumb and mute the E, and put your middle and index fingers above the 3rd fret on the E (you will hammer on with these two fingers) Your plucking hand should keep a steady rhythm of slap....pop....slap....pop. Doing this with the hammering will give the effect that Les is doing three muted slaps. The rhythm is hammer, slap, hammer, pop then repeat.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I never bothered to learn the song... I just watched the video. Only's advice sounds pretty good though.