Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Primus - Santa Cruz - Totally Insane!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Wow, Stephen Soto (Obsolex) and I and a couple other people went to the Primus concert in Santa Cruz last night, totally insane! It's the first time either of us has seen them and we were totally blown away! The main song I know I was looking forward to was Tommy The Cat and he nailed it perfect with a sweet ass solo in the middle, was totally crazy.

In the middle of it the people up front broke down the barricade and so they had to take like 10 minutes to remove it and so everyone was right up against the stage and anyone caught crowd surfing onto the stage got ejected. Now, after about 3 people got ejected everyone was booing the security guards and Les was like "Why you booing them? Their just doing their jobs." And then he went onto play a song and then he says "Now buddy, why are you flipping me off? I'm just trying to do my job" (Note: He is talking to some guy up front) "Now, if you want I can come down there and slap a dick in your mouth and you can do yours." (I thought this was pretty funny, mod's, if not appropriate, please edit it out).

But the drummer had this like 5+ minute solo that was totally insane, he has some mad talent. Some of the main songs I really enjoyed were: Puddin Time, Jerry Was A Race Car Driver, Tommy The Cat, Here Come The Bastards, Groundhogs Day, Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweakers, My Friend Fats, Pilchers Squad, Eleven.

If anyone seriously has a chance to go see them live during this tour, I recommend you do, 3 crazy hours of Primus, you will kick yourself for passing it up!

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    checkin' them out in November...can't bloody wait!

-AC

3. Dude, it is the greatest thing I have seen in my life, trust me, YOU WILL ENJOY IT!

4. Me too, in at the tower theater

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    C'mon buddy, you're a Primus fan and you don't know "the drummers" name? Tim (formerly called "Herb") Alexander, very creative and tasteful guy. If you liked the solo, check out these recordings he's on:

Attention Deficit; The Idiot King and self-titled(with Michael Manring and Alex Skolnick)

Laundry; Blacktongue and Motivator

A Perfect Circle; Mer de Noms (first track only, strangely enough. I consider him better than Josh Freese)

Michael Manring; Thonk (Tim plays on half the songs on this record, Steve Smith does the others)

Oxygene8, Born Naked, theres a few more he's played with at www.timalexander.org. He's also at www.drummerworld.com.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ok, it started out with the song Nature Boy, which sounded great live. Actually every song sounded better live. The second song was Pudding Time, and that was great too. And then a few more in the first set.
    What is amazing about this band is:
    Right in the middle of the song Groundhog's Day, in the first set, the crowd broke the barricade, and Les Claypool just kinda kept playing the Groundhog's Day riff for a few minutes... But it turned in to a 5-15 minute jam!!!
    And you could tell that they really just came up with this on the spot. Les busted out some AWSOME riffs, and fit exactly with the song, as if it like, went with it already. But he put the effect on some wah thing, and they all jammed it also.
    While that was going on Les did a few (fast as hell) riffs in the cool little jam. Then they went right back to Groundhog's Day, PERFECTLY!! I could kind of tell that the crowd around me got a little bit pist off. But after a few minutes into the jam, they weren't anymore. You kind of had to be there I guess though.
    The rest of the songs in the first set were awsome too, My friend fats, and a few others.
    In the second set, this drummer had this like 10-15 solo too, AMAZING!!!!!!!

The second set:
    I mean, they played this whole albuml literally start to finish. It was amazing.

A weird thing is, that I really didn't appreciate this band, or Les as much until last night. Seeing them live, and especially Les, just singing every song, and playing them like they are open notes.

The best songs in the second set were:
    Tommy the Cat
    Jerry was a Racecar Driver
    Eleven
    Is It Luck?
    Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers
    Fish On
    Here Come the Bastards
    Sgt. Baker
    American Life

And I know, that's all of them, not in order though. But Les had this mad solo in Tommy the Cat too!!!!!!!!!!
    That was one of the highlights. And Jerry was a Racecar Driver was sooooo muuuch better live too.

But really if you want to go see a great band, with everything from funk, metal, and crazy wacky sh*t, go see Primus!!!!!!!!!!!

||_-soto-_||

7. I didn't either, but now I think back at it and realize "Les is pure genius, he isn't weird, he's genius".

There was this mosh pit in the center and people were just moshing in that, but the whole place turned into one mainly during:

Here Come The Bastards
    Jerry Was A Race Car Driver
    Tommy The Cat

There is another one but it isn't coming to mind...mainly towards the end every song had the whole place moshing, was some crazy sh*t, but fun none-the-less!

8. I know his name, but really when I made this post (and as I make this) its on very little sleep and my brain is running on fumes.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Sorry man, but this is a review of the damn show man.

10. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Did you hear that 'song' where all of the sudden some guy spit on Les Claypool? It was soo awesome, Right in the middle of a song, he just stops playing and the band stops and they all look at him funny. He goes up to the mic and says something like, "Now, I havent played bass for ___ years so I can have some Dumb Mother______ Spit on me" and a TON of other funny stuff, but thats all I can really remember... Funny as hell.

11. Yeah, I've heard it before.

12. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Just saw them in San Francisco at the warfield and rolled into work for my graveyard hours...ugh must stay awake.

The Show was awesome, lots of spontanous long jams in Blue collar tweekers, Tommy the cat, Americanlife. They didnt play puddin time in though! :( - No problemo though they covered all the great stuff on seas of cheese.

I am soo glad Tim is back, Love those double bass rolls he does so well.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I've seen little richard. AND the village people.