Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Primus - Southbound Pachyderm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by danqi, Aug 23, 2003.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I have picked up my bass again a couple of days ago and now I am picking TalkBass up again.:)
    I really like this song. I just can't seem to get the "flow" (please excuse this generic term) right. I am not talking about the strumming but everything else. I find it hard to keep the A going steady while playing those other notes. Do you know how Les plays that? Maybe that would help me.

2. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    It's kind of off topic, but it has been anounced that Primus is reuniting for a tour and a new album.

3. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Well, I must admit that I am not really that much of a Primus fan. There was a time I wanted to believe that I liked it. But when I am honest, the only Primus songs I really like are Soutbound Pachyderm and Too Many Puppies.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Ah, I remember this one. First, practice the phrasing of each line separately, then try putting them together.

This may sound a bit confusing, but focus your plucking hand on the open-A notes, and your left on getting the other notes to ring out.

What sort of difficulty are you having - can you be more specific?

5. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Sure can!
    Tabs come in handy here. When playing this part:
    |----------------|
    |10-9-7-5h7-7-5h7|
    |open------------|
    |----------------|
    which first appears about 1/3 into the song around the time les starts singing, I find it especially difficult to keep the notes on the D string as well as the open A flowing. I plug using two fingers and alternate between the strings. By that I mean while I plug a note on the D string I do NOT play an open A. I can't really manage to do that, but maybe that would sound better. That's why I was asking if Les himself uses a different technique for plucking.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Admittedly, I haven't played or listened to that song in a while, but as I remember learning it, play two open eighth notes on the A and then quarters on the D, which you have to be careful to let ring out (for the first part). For the part you described, try using your index finger to pluck the notes on the A, and your middle finger to pluck notes on the D. With a bit of practice, you should be able to keep the pulse going.

I can't remember for sure, but I think Les may also have done some overdubbing of parts in that song... I'll have to have a listen again to check.

Hope this helps!

7. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Yeah, thanks. I should be getting to it with some more practice.