Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

primus tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bad Ass Bass, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

Jul 18, 2000
    hey i was wondering if anyone has the tab for Poetry and Proes from Primus its the song off of the beavis and butthead CD. i've seen it a couple of different times but it doesn't look right. I've got the general idea for the song but its missing a few parts. appreciate the help.

2. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

Jul 18, 2000
    HELLO????? does anyone know at all? or are you just ignoring me.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Tabs are bad, m'kay?

sorry John, beat ya to it. :D

4. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

Jul 18, 2000
    ok pacman, why don't you write out all the sheet music in the whole song and mail it to me, that will be a whole lot easier.(I read the posts about tabs vs sheet music i just wanted to be a wise ass). i just need the tabs for an idea, i know most of it. m'kay?

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It would be easier, but you wouldn't learn anything. Get your CD, get your bass. Listen to the 1st bar, then play it, repeat with the next bar, continue untill you've got the tune.

Then you will be able to snatch the pebble.

6. I havn't read that thread about tab vs. notation, but why not use tab when you know the time and length of notes?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't really believe that people can accurately work out the time and length of notes for themselves but not the pitches - this is usually the easy part! Especially with something like Primus, the chords aren't that varied or difficult, but it is often the rhythmic variations that give the basslines their unique style - this is hard stuff technically -but mostly rhythmically and I can't believe that anybody who could work this part out couldn't also work out the pitches of the notes?

I've only heard a few Primus albums, but in these, the difficulty in the lines is in the rhythmic placement of notes - not in the harmonic complexity as it would be in say a Jazz tune. So my view would be that Tabs would be worse than useless for figuring out these lines. I agree entirely with Pacman that the only way to get this rhythmic "feel" is to play along with the tune repeatedly and break it down into small sections if necessary.

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I pretty much agree with you, but note that the guy that started this thread didn't say he nececarily knew all the pitches.

/lovebown

9. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

Jul 18, 2000
    well i really enjoy reading all the replies about how great all you guys are at reading music and figuring out pitches,but i was just wondering if anyone had the song.I only want tabs so i can see how other people think it should be played then compare it to mine( I already know most of the song).Doing that really helps me alot,maybe its not your way sorry,i know its a sin to do anything different around here cause you always get people telling you how it should be done. Remember there are different ways from yours, they may even be better...

10. Thanks Bruce.

What CD is it off Bad Ass? Is it from Antipop?