Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

primus technique question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by funktastic, Mar 28, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Hi, im new to the board and i have learned a whole lot from just reading everything. but now i have a question about something Les Claypool does in "Tommy the Cat." I can play the song generally pretty well, but there is a sound he makes right at the chord he hits. i think hes popping something then hits the chord but it really makes a cool sound, does anybody know what im talking about or know what it is? thanks

2. Incubus

Incubus

Mar 28, 2005
    NY,NY
    acctually, i think the chord is popped and you immedieatly play the
    Code:
    E:|----0h3x3x3x 

or it is the way you are strumming it... it is a downstrum on your nail... when i play it it sounds just like what he is playing and in the music video it looks like he is doing what i am doing....

3. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    i can play it like the other versions, but the way he does it now like in video plasty and on the tour de fromage he makes that chord make a really wierd noise, maybe its his jazz bass but i dont know, thanks for the help :)

4. I believe that he's basically doing a triplet of sorts. The first note is a popped anticipated open G at the very end of the previous bar, into a strummed B power chord, followed by a popped B. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds right to me. Audio Clip

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The chord is not popped. He flamencos it. Just to let you know, he has one EMG soapbar by the bridge. On Suck On This! it's played with his 4 string, and on the recording it's played on the Rainbow bass. Sometimes he plays it on his Fender Jazz Bass.

6. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    yeah im talking about the version in videoplasty on his jazz bass. i know the chord is flamencoed but there is some pop or something that just really growls right around the chord. its been baffling me for a while, i have tried popping open d right before hitting the chord because thats what it seems like he does from what i have watched. he gets the same sound on the fretless when he plays it live. the recording and the "suck on this" version dont really show it very well. thanks again for the help

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well he flamenco's the 4 chord (that's what we're gonna call it) and then slaps E hammer G really fast (on low E) and then does some dead notes and does the F G G G thing.

I'm not really making sense am I?

8. I agree that the chord isn't popped, but it sounds like he's catching the high B on the up stroke. But, that may just sound that way due to the mid attack of the bridge pickup.