Primus - The Awakening

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Noobai, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA

This is one of my favorite slap solo songs, it just has a wonderful groove and melody to it. But Im wondering, is it even WORTH trying to learn, lol.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes, learn it, challenge yourself, It's really not as hard as it sounds either.

how? there is a lot of slap/pop, some harmonics, and some fingerstyle stuff.

Also, a lot of hammer-ons and stuff.
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Time, take it!

Take your time. Sure, its as impressive as hell, but how long do you think it took les to play like that.

Its fun to play once you get it down pat :)
  4. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Well, got the first 50 seconds down pat. heh, now for the hard parts :p
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I've been working on this song for quite awhile now but I think it's worth it. I have a lot to work on with it because I never cared for slapping until I started learning this song! LOL

The key, IMO, to learning it is to 1) Take each section and learn it slowly at first. And make sure you can play it slowly before you move on. If you are having trouble with a particular section, it's good to practice it a little extra each day; and 2)Practice the techniques used in it seperately. Take time out each day to practice slapping, harmonics, etc.

I'm a little obsessive but I've been playing the song 5 times a day. Then isolating sections I'm having a hard time with and playing that section over and over, slowly at first and then speeding up a bit.

Good luck! :)