1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Primus - tommy the cat

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ssookdeo, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ssookdeo

ssookdeo

Sep 8, 2008
    I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I've been working on tommy the cat but its just so ridiculously fast. At my level should I be able to play this groove? how did it take you to play it cleanly at the right tempo?

2. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    What's your level? between beginner and intermediate means different things to different people.

3. Its tricky, but not impossible. Just focus on playing it slower and gradually increase the metronome till you can play it at speed correctly. I forget how long it took me to learn, it was a while back.

4. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    it took me months to learn it when i was a semi -beginner
    just play it really slowly for a while, and gradually you'll get better. it doesnt feel like it but after awhile you get it.

5. mattbass101

mattbass101

Apr 4, 2006
    when you go to learn this song, or any song, there's a few things you should consider at any level,
    first thing is being able to hear what he is doing, listen to it over and over, and slow it down if you can.
    secondly a really good idea is to youtube other peoples lessons on it, it's really good if you are able to see peoples different takes on it and come up with a comfortable way for you to do the riff yourself.
    thirdly you have to start really slow and make sure you're doing everything right, note for note, and make it as clean as possible, practice it soft and quiet at a slow speed for a good amount of time, and your speed and accuracy will increase forsure.

hope this is useful.

6. Use some of the youtube "howtos" as a guide. I haven't seen one played right yet but they will be a good starting place. After you kinda get it go watcn this live version and meld them. 2:37 is a pretty good shot...:bassist:

7. gm jack

gm jack

Oct 5, 2008
    Reading UK
    Just take it dead slow, and it will naturally build up. My slap knowledge consists of Higher Ground, Can't Stop and Tommy the Cat. Other than the speed, it is an easy song. Speed is a by-product of accuracy, so keep playing it slow and accurate to get fast and accurate.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    it's gonna vary from person to person how quick you'll get it accurate,when I learned it, I had it down cold the day after "sailing the seas of cheese" was originally released. Learn the parts and slow it down until you're up to speed. Also, when Les had originally did it on "suck on this", was on a 4, very different what he re-did on "seas of cheese", so you might also want to listen to that one also.

9. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Like Alembicply says, Les played Tommy the Cat on a 4-string fretted on Suck on This and then a 6-string fretless on Sailing the Seas of Cheese, what kind of bass are you playing the song on?

The first day I ever played my own bass, I tried to learn Primus songs. Some of them were way beyond my ability and some I was able to get down pretty quickly.

If you find yourself getting very frustrated, or unable to play the song properly even at a slower tempo, you might want to come back to it after a few months of learning some slightly easier songs.

Otherwise, follow the other suggestions on this thread, they're all very good.